17

"Hey," Bill said.

Bill grabbed Candy's two little children before they could race out into the street.

"Thanks, Sheriff," Candy said.

The poor mother looked exasperated. Her hair was a mess. Errant strands fell across her face. She had tried to pull it back into a ponytail, but the rubber band, or whatever she was using to hold it in place, was not working.

"You two kids have gotta be careful," Bill said. "You just can't go charging out into Main Street. A car could hit you. And where are your shoes?"

Bill looked at the tiny feet. Eight toes on each pair. No, that couldn't be right.

"Gotta get my specs changed," he mumbled.

The kids were eager for Bill to let go, but Bill was determined to have his say.

"Candy," Bill said, "these little ones need shoes. They could cut their feet on a piece of glass or something. Keep up with them. I know it's hard, but I don't want to see them get hurt."

"I'll try," Candy said. "But you're right. It's hard. They both move like greased lightning."

"Well, you watch them. Mind how they cross the street," Bill said.

"I will," said Candy. "Thanks, Sheriff."

"You have a good day, Candy," Bill said.

Kids today, Bill thought, watching Candy and her two savages walk down the street. Like as not, he thought, those two little ones will have a hard row to hoe. Wasn't Candy's fault. 

Bill blamed that no account excuse for a father, Kyle Winthrop.

* * *

"I'm worried," Maury said. "Bill's working himself to death but doesn't seem to be getting anywhere with this case."

"Virgie's at her wit's end, too," Hadley said. "I tell you, Sis, I felt so sorry for her I didn't know what to do."

"Oh, let's change the subject," Maury said. "If we stay on this line of talk, I'm gonna be cryin' oceans. How's the dumpster duty goin' at Eustian's?"

"Girl," Hadley said, "that place is all 'gaumed' up. I never saw such a mess. Beanie and I have cleared a good path to the house. How one human could cram so much useless junk into a house is beyond me.

First of all, why do it? Second, after you've been so industrious as to keep the stuff out of the dump and in its new home in your home, you've got to live with it.

Roach Motel. Rat rendezvous. Dust magnet. A path. I'm not kidding. A tiny path in all that clutter. And he lived like that for decades. He had to, Maury. You can't collect that much trash in one year. Or even two! It takes time. It's gonna take Beanie and me forever to clear it out, but Beanie's a hard worker."

"Found any treasure, yet?" Maury asked.

"The only treasure I am looking for is the wooden floorboards. When I see the floor, I know we're on the downhill of cleaning out whatever room we're in."

"Still," Maury said, "wouldn't it be fantastic to find, oh, I don't know, a hidden stash of hundred dollar bills, a rare gemstone."

"A gold doubloon!" said Hadley. "Beanie and I have about as much chance of finding something valuable in the rubbish as you do of winning the lottery."

"Oh, I know," said Maury, "but it is fun to dream."

"Eustian has quite a view of the old amusement park," Hadley said. "I never realized just how much of the tumbled-down property can be seen from his porch."

"I'll bet when that park was opened," Maury said, "it was like watching a circus sideshow. Can you imagine? Better than television."

"Yeah," Hadley said, "it would have been quite a show. But I don't think Eustian was into being sociable."

"Not that old goat," said Maury. "He was into being crabby and cantankerous."

"Still," Hadley said, "you're right. Beanie and I might stumble upon some secret Eustian's had hidden in that house full of junk forever. You never know."

"I'll wash," Maury said. "You dry. You know where everything goes."

"Deal," said Hadley. "And thanks for the elbow grease."

"It's the least I can do," said Maury. "Your invitation got Bill to sit down for 30 minutes. He never refuses your cooking, Hadley."

"Then," Hadley said, "until this case is solved, I'll just have to start inviting you two over more often. Bill can get a good meal with a little rest thrown in at no extra charge."