7

That following Monday, Hadley walked into Lou Edna's Beauty Boutique. She was greeted with catcalls and whistles.

"When you gonna show me what Hobie taught you, Hadley?"

"Look, Lou Edna," Hadley said, "it may come as a surprise to you, but learning to play the guitar is something I've always wanted to do. Hobie was generous enough to let me sit in on those lessons he's giving the kids."

"I know, girl. I'm just messin' with you," Lou Edna said. "Have a seat in this bodacious pink beauty, and let me get started on your wash and set."

Lou Edna's décor was a riot of pink. Her chairs, dryers, walls, and even her uniform glowed Pepto.

"If you wasn't a sight though in that iddy biddy kiddie chair," Lou Edna said. "It was all I could do not to bust a gut laughing."

"You said it," Hadley said. "I realized what a mistake I'd made plopping down in that tiny thing. Not only were my knees scratching my nose, for a minute there, I thought I was going to have to toss my stomach over my shoulders. Those Sunday School chairs they have those kids sit in are really low."

"I declare if you waddn't a sight for sore eyes. How on earth did you keep the seams in your britches from bustin' their stitches? You must be made of gelatin," the beautician said, scrubbing Hadley's scalp. "And you're a lot braver than I'd ever be. One squat down that far would be all she wrote. I'd bust a hamstring or something as sure as the world."

"Lou, you ain't lying," Hadley said. "I was sweating bullets there for a minute. I kept waiting for that sickeningly, horrific sound of inseam giving way. But thank goodness for double stitching. My pants made it through, even if my pride took a licking."

"You going back for more lessons next week?"

"You bet. I learned three chords, yesterday," Hadley said. "Next week, Hobie promised to teach us a song."

"Oh, Hadley," Lou Edna said, "you ain't gonna sing? That would scare the life out of them little ones."

"No," Hadley said. "But I might hum along softly."

"Well, "you see one of them tykes start tearing up like he's gotta do number two real bad, you stop. Okay?"

"I will. I know I can't sing. Harry told me I had to stop singing in the shower. He was afraid my high notes would crack the tiles."

"I know the Good Book says something about making a joyful noise," Lou Edna said, "but I've sat beside you in church. Your noise may sound joyful to Him, but to the rest of us, it's pure misery."

"I just want to learn how to play. Not sing, Lou Edna," Hadley said.

"Good," Lou Edna said, wrapping a towel around Hadley's head and causing her face to disappear beneath a veil of cottony pink. "How 'bout a little color today, Hadley?"

"I promise not to sing if you promise to leave the hair color on the shelf behind you," Hadley said from underneath the towel.

"Deal," said Lou Edna. "Now, scoot under the dryer. I think a thirty minute break won't get you too done."