51

The place was creepy.

Rusty metal squealed when it was moved by the mountain breezes. Gates moaned and creaked on broken hinges. Doors slapped open and shut when nobody was standing near them. Winds whispered through the carousel pipe organ, creating an eerie, sad tune for the carousel animals. Those poor beasts with their fading stares, frozen forever in mid-gallop on a circular platform of rotting wood, were always going nowhere.

There were the stories, too. 

Lots of spooky stories passed down in the playground by kids of unexplained accidents, injuries, or deaths that had occurred over the years. 

Cars suddenly ran into trees, or into each other, on the many curves leading to the park. Nobody could explain why. More often than not, there were never witnesses, leaving more questions than answers.

Skip remembered tales of injured workers during the amusement park's construction. A tree landed on one of the landscapers clearing the land for the project. One minute it had been standing tall. The next, workers looked to see it crashing to earth.

Someone fell off the roof of the big barn that now housed the animal rescue center. It seemed as if unexplained accidents or mysterious mishaps happened almost every day as the park took shape.

Was there a malevolent force at work here? Were the spirits of the dead aroused when a holy site had been violated? 

Ancient history? 

Superstition? 

Just bad luck?