60

"Hadley," Anna said, "what are you doing way out here?"

Hadley had dropped by the airstrip.

"You want another ride across the county?" Anna asked.

"No, Anna," Hadley said. "I baked a cake for Hobie. I've dropped it off. He's busy working at the shop. I was so close, I thought I'd stop in and see if you were here. I know that the library's closed for the holiday. You said once that you spend your days off here with Stanley."

"It's great to see you."

"I only see your little plane in the hanger."

"Yes, Dr. Wilson left at the crack of dawn this morning. Stanley's an early bird, but even he wasn't up in time to see the doctor off. Stanley's driving his rental car back."

"Strange," Hadley murmured.

"What's that?" Anna said.

"Oh, nothing. "Bad habit. I talk to myself. Comes from living with a cat who's not much on conversation."

"How's the Internet research coming along?"

"The Internet is fine, and thanks again for all your help. If I could find the time to get around to browsing more, I think I'd really enjoy surfing. Nothing like a good surf in a string bikini with a cat who wants to hang ten on your keyboard. Onus has developed a love affair with that thing. I can't shoo him off."

"Your cat just likes the warmth it generates," Anna said.

"Is that what it is? I was worried that all those typos I was making were somehow affecting that cat. You know, I have stumbled into some eye-popping places and, I dunno, I was beginning to think that all that sexual electricity was somehow being transmitted back to the keys on my keyboard."

"Not at all," Anna said.

"Well," Hadley said, "I know you and Stanley have a lot to do out here."

"Business has really picked up since Ruth opened up her shop, and Hobie plays almost every weekend. We are becoming quite a hub for weekend tourist stopovers."

"I'll bet," said Hadley. "Tell Stanley I said 'hey.'"

"I will," said Anna. "See you, soon."

***

Hadley drove straight home. She got on the phone.

"Maury," Hadley said, "you busy?"

"Well, I was thinking about soaking my corns, but I guess that can wait. No, seriously, I've got nothing on my calendar. Why?"

"Let's volunteer at the wildlife shelter today," Hadley said.

"But it's not our scheduled day," Maury said.

"I know that," Hadley said, "but trust me, will ya? I think Ruth may just need a shoulder to cry on."

"What makes you say that, Hadley?"

"Doctor Hamptoooons flew out bright and early this morning."

"So?" said Maury.

"He lit out before Stanley even opened the airstrip."

"I'll have my Wellies on and be waiting for you," said Maury.