10

"Honey, I need your help," said Virgie Winthrop, standing in Hadley's front doorway.

"What is it, Virgie?" Hadley asked. "I'll do whatever I can, you know that. I'm really sorry for your loss. Have y'all finished the arrangements for Kyle's funeral?"

"Not yet," Virgie said. "We're waiting for Bowey Hill to release his body back to us. Thanks. 'Bout all anybody can do for us is pray."

"Well, I've been doing that," Hadley said. "What do you need?"

"I know you and Kyle had that run-in, a couple of years back. If you say 'no,' I won't blame you. He stole from you. Ain't no use sugar-coatin' the truth. 'At dope turned that boy inside out. He started out sweet 'n' good-natured, 'en then he turned into a rattler. I loved him. He was blood. But I shorely didn't like him. Still, I'm an old woman, and I need peace."

What does Virgie want? Hadley hated to hear the rest of this conversation. Kyle Winthrop had broken into her garage, stolen lots of Harry's tools. He did it to get cash to buy more drugs, and the only reason Hadley had recovered some of the stolen items at all was because Harry had engraved his name on the things.

"I hate to ask, Hadley, but I was wondering if you wouldn't help me. I was there that day at the bazaar. I was at the library when you got Reeves to confess to killing Eustian. You been away to school, Hadley. You're smart. I've always knowed that."

"Oh, Virgie, that was just dumb luck," Hadley said.

"Dumb luck ain't got nuthin' to do with it. You are good people. You help anybody. You're from good-hearted stock, Hadley Pell, 'n' you know it.

I know what Kyle was. He weren't good fer nuthin'. Ruint. But even if he weren't worth a plug nickel, I still need to know who done him in like that. Bill's a good man. I know he's kin, but he's gotta sheriff this whole county.

I need somebody who cann put a bead on this problem and figure it out. I need a good brain to help me like you got. Kyle was my blood, 'n' a dawg deserved better'n what he got."

"Virgie, I can't go messing into a police matter," Hadley said.

"I ain't askin' ya to get into no trouble. But you're out 'n' about. You hear things. All I'm askin' is if you hear somepin' that clicks 'em cogs in that head a yourn, let me know, okay?"

"All right," Hadley said. "I'll be sure to keep my ears open, Virgie."

"That's all I'm askin'. Maybe you can help. Maybe not. But at least you're tryin'. That's all this old lady can ask from a body. And thanks, Hadley. You're a good friend."

What in the world have I done? 

She couldn't trouble herself too much. She was just helping a neighbor. That's how it was in these hills. Not like a big city where nobody wants to know anything about anybody. Strangers or family. In the mountains, folks helped you out. It didn't matter who you were.

"Onus," Hadley said, after Virgie had left. "I got to go clean out a house so 'gaumed up,' you may not see me for weeks."

Onus meowed.

"Don't worry, old bird. I'm just fooling. I'll be home in time to get your cat food dish filled come suppertime. You keep a watch on things while I'm gone, you hear. Don't let any hooligans in here. I'm locking the door. Just to be safe. Beanie and I may be late, so don't worry."

Onus silently slid over to Hadley and rubbed against her leg.

"Oh, pretty boy. Afraid I'll stray too far. Thanks for marking me as yours, Onus. I'm sure that no self-respecting cat will dare to come up to me today. I'm yours, big fella, and now that you've scent-marked me, I won't forget it."

As Hadley locked the door, she smiled. Onus' scent would be like perfume. She was certain that by the end of the day 'after sweating like horses' would be a perfect description for both her and her friend, Beanie.

So a little kitty musk didn't hurt a thing.