28

Hadley changed into her black funeral dress. She hated the old thing, but it was appropriate, she guessed. Black was the one color that washed her out. She stood looking in the mirror.

"Pale Hadley," she said, shaking her head.

It was no use. Nothing short of ostrich feathers and a three-foot-high headpiece of hot pink plastic flamingos would dress up this drab dress.

"Oh well, Onus," Hadley said. "It's a funeral, not a fashion show."

Onus ambled into the bedroom and jumped on top of the bed.

"I bet you do that all the time when I'm away," Hadley said.

Onus made a beeline for the pillows at the head of the bed. Diving headfirst between the two, Onus disappeared. It was his favorite game. 

Hadley knew what would happen next. In a couple of seconds, Hadley saw one paw shoot out from under one of the pillows. It moved left, then right, then, disappeared again. 

The pillows jiggled and vibrated as the Onus earthquake rattled their foundations. The space between the pillows parted, and Hadley saw half a fuzzy face and one eye.

"Meow," Onus said.

"That's right," Hadley said, "play hard to get. See if I care."

Onus disappeared from sight.

Hadley laughed. She looked at her watch.

"Much as I'd like to play hide-and-seek with you, old thing," Hadley said, "I've really got to get a move on. I'm going to be late."

Hadley scrambled for her shoes and pocketbook.

"And don't forget that cake," she reminded herself.

She flew out the door and into the car.

"This road is si-gogglin,'" she said, winding down the curvy back road to Increase Clifford's.

***

It had been some time since Hadley had been this far back in the sticks. She could see why Eucle Clifford would not want to waste his gasoline running Increase to Kyle's funeral. 

Eucle and Increase belonged to another time. It was rumored that Eucle ran a small still somewhere near a clear-running creek in some long-forgotten hollow on his place. Hadley couldn't help but wonder if this was not the real reason Increase didn't want her driving down the long dirt road to their cabin.

"Howdy, Increase!" Hadley said. "I was running a few minutes late. I hope I haven't kept you waiting very long."

"Nonsense, child," Increase said. "As far as I'm concerned, I could stand right here in this shady spot till doomsday. Heared me a bobolink, Hadley! It's beautiful out here, ain't it?"

"They are beautiful songbirds, Increase. And it is a mighty pretty day. What you got under the cotton towel?"

"A cushaw pie," said Increase.

"You know, Pixies has a few of those. I've been meaning to buy one and make me some pies. I love that squash. I think it makes better pies than pumpkin. What do you think?"

"I think ennythin' that's edible is a gift of Gawd," said Increase.

"Amen," said Hadley.

"I'm worried 'bout Virgie," Increase said. "How you think she's holdin' up?"

"I'm sure she's broken right now," said Hadley. "Who wouldn't be? Kyle was her grandson. And just between you and me, Cleve doesn't seem to be in any mood to share her burden and grieve along with her."