62

"Word travels faster than the speed of sound around here," Ruth said.

Hadley remained silent.

"He's married," Ruth said, softly.

"He's what!" Hadley said. "After all this time, he hadn't told you? What on earth did you two do? No. Don't tell me. That's none of my business. Didn't you talk? It can't be hot and heavy all the time."

"We did talk," said Ruth, "lots. But not about ourselves. Declan was so interested in the work here. His practice is conventional. Dogs and cats. Small animals. Nothing like the ones we have here. Skip brought in an injured hawk. Did he tell you?"

"No," said Hadley. "Maury didn't mention it, either. Skip keeps to himself a lot, lately."

"Declan and I watched Chester work his magic on her," Ruth said.

"Chester is a miracle worker with large birds," said Hadley.

"He certainly is. I'm going to ask Chester to teach me some of his secrets," Ruth said. "That man knows more than anyone or any book I know. That's what Declan and I discussed. Things like how you people are so amazing. How Chester never went to veterinary school, yet he has garnered more practical knowledge about falconry and large predatory birds that Declan or I will ever know."

"Do you think he'll be back?" Hadley asked.

"I don't know. If he does," Ruth said, "I'll make it plain that we're going to be friends. Just friends."

"You're a better woman than I am, Gunga Din," said Hadley.

"Nonsense," Ruth said. "I may punch his lights out first for the shabby way he treated me, but if he does show back up, he's another set of skilled volunteer hands. The animals are what count. Not my pouting sessions."

"Well," said Hadley, "since you put it like that, I won't hire a hit man to go after him."

"Don't," Ruth said. "You wouldn't look good in prison orange, and I need you around here."

"What do you want me to do?" asked Hadley.