41

"Hey, gal," Anna said. "Long time no see, Maury. Hey, Hadley. What in the world's the matter? You look like you got in a back alley fight and lost. Haven't been hanging out with that tomcat of yours? You okay?"

"Sore muscles," Hadley said. "I'll be fine as soon as I move around a bit and work the tenderness out."

"How's it coming?" Anna asked. "You anywhere near finished cleaning out that house?"

"Quite a job," Hadley said. "But Beanie and I are making progress."

"Good," Anna said. "Are you looking for anything in particular, today?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact, I am. I'm wanting to look up an old copy of the Hope Rock County Gazette. I'm talking real old. Do you have copies stored somewhere?"

"Well," Anna said, "we are digitizing a lot of the older material, but we haven't gotten around to finishing all of it. Some of the very old stuff is still on microfilm."

"Microfilm!" Hadley said. "You've got to be kidding me. I used those old microfiche machines in college. For research papers. Hot dog, Maury!"

"Hadley, what are you ramblin' about?" Maury asked.

"Finally," Hadley said, "a piece of technology I know how to use!"

Anna laughed.

"It is old school, but it works. The reason we're phasing it out is because that technology takes up too much storage space. We are blessed here with a big building, so storage space is not as much of an issue for us as it is for other facilities.

But, like just about everything else in the world, it takes time to move the old way to the new. Exactly how far back are you talking, Hadley?"

Hadley gave her the date.

"Step right back here," Anna said. "You're definitely still in the microfilm era. We have a room dedicated to the microfiche material. Over here, ladies. The films are in these drawers. If you need any help, just call me."

"Thanks, Anna," Hadley said. "I'm finally in my element. You old-school beauty, you haven't changed in eons! Sit down, Maury. Let's give these films a spin."

Hadley found the correct microfilm and loaded it into the machine. She wound the little handle and the large screen in front of them was a blur of newsprint and motion.

"Slow down, Hadley! You're makin' me sick," said Maury.

"I know," said Hadley. "It doesn't pay to get trigger happy on these machines and wind fast like you're shooting a machine gun. I'm getting dizzy, myself. Wouldn't Lou Edna gossip about me if I made myself so drunk I fell right out of this chair! Besides, I'm already sore enough from the fall."

Hadley slowed the spin of the machine.

"Hey!" she said. "Here it is."

"That's Betsy and Billy Aiken," Maury said. "Where'd they move off to?"

"California. I think," said Hadley. "At least that's the last place I heard. But it has been awhile, so I don't really know for sure."

"That's right," said Maury. "I remember, now. That little Betsy was something else. Wasn't she? I don't know why, but she always thought she was something on a stick, remember? Prissin' around in that fancy little car Frankie bought her."

"I'll bet Betsy's a leather prune by now if she's cruisin' the Pacific Coast Highway with the top down and no sunscreen."

"Maury, you are terrible," said Hadley.

"All that I am, I learned from my older sister," said Maury.

"And a philosopher, too!" said Hadley. "But there is a grain of truth in what you say. I never win the award for always being the perfect Little Miss Sunshine."

"Look!" said Maury. "Isn't that Hardy!"

"I thought so, too," said Hadley. "Looking at the old newsprint, it looked sort of like him. But here on this screen, it most definitely is."

"Wonder why he never mentioned bein' there that day? That was when Claire got hurt. Them coaster cars are tore up somethin' fierce. Makes me shudder inside just lookin' at this photo. Can you imagine how horrible it was to have been there and seen everything up close and in living color? Musta been an awful sight to see."

"Maybe," said Hadley, "that's exactly why Hardy's never talked about being there that day. As bad as these pictures are, it had to have been horrific to have been there in person."

"Yeah," said Maury. "NightmareCity."

"Did you girls find what you need?" asked Anna.

"Yeah," said Hadley. "Just quenching our curiosity. Nosy old biddies are like that."

"Speaking of curiosity," said Anna, "let me know when you want another fly-by over the county, Hadley."

"I will. And thanks, Anna."

***

Maury and Hadley were standing outside the library.

"You know you're not goin' back up in that contraption, Hadley," Maury said. "I am mortified just to hear you mention that. I've seen that thing over at Stanley's hangar. He's proud as punch to have bought it for Anna. I think it looks like a rickety little rattletrap of death."

"Anna's little plane is quite safe. They say flying is safer than driving a car."

"Tell that to Patsy My-All-Time-Favorite-Singer Cline."