24

After waking up, Beanie yawned and smiled.

Hadley and her friend got back to work hauling and dumping until evening. They were making good progress, and Hadley wondered if two dumpsters would be enough.

Tired and sweaty, Hadley looked at Beanie, "You ready to call it a day?"

"I'm with you," said Beanie.

"We've made good progress," Hadley said. "The parlor, the dining room, and the first-floor bedroom are all done. All that's left is the upstairs, the kitchen, and old Mrs. Singlepenny's first-floor bedroom. At the rate we are going, we may be able to see the light of day by first of next week," Hadley said.

"Do you think Mrs. Singlepenny's ghost still lives in that bedroom?" Beanie asked. "It sure looks like somebody still does. It's the only room in the house not packed with junk."

"I think Eustian wanted it that way, Bean," Hadley said. "That was his mama's room. He kept clean for her memory. In fact, I'd bet he left it just like it was on the day she died."

"Ouuuu, Hadley," Beanie said.

"Not to worry," said Hadley. "He cleaned and dusted that room because he loved his mama. That's all.

That's why it looks like somebody still lived there. I don't think ghosts care about dust and cobwebs. Remember, Bean. There's no such things as ghosts. But if there were, I think a ghost would want a dark, dilapidated room, dusty with cobwebs. If I was a ghost, that's the kind of room I'd feel most comfy haunting."

"Uh-huh," Beanie said.

"Tell you what," Hadley said. "Let's stop by The Creamery on our way home. We've been working like mules. I think a couple of mules like us deserve a milkshake. Don't you?"

"Hee-haw," Beanie said. "I sure do! The front side 'a my feed sack's pushin' clean through the back!"

"I'm starving, too," said Hadley.

After milkshakes, Hadley dropped Beanie off at his house. She arrived home to find Onus perched on her front windowsill staring out at her.

"I hope you haven't been playing king of the jungle, today. My drapes were not made for that much jungle roughhousing."

Onus just stared at her with his wise eyes.

She entered her house and found it as she had left it.

"Good boy," Hadley said. "Window shopping all day? Well, it is easy on the old pocketbook."

Onus did that sometimes. For no reason, he would sit perched in front of the window watching the comings and goings of the townsfolk below on Main Street. 

***

Hadley stood beside the cat. He let her rub the top of his silky head. His motor started purring.

It was a nice view. Harry had picked the land out and had the house built a couple of months after they were married. She had a grand view of the town below. From stoplight to stoplight, she could watch the little figures and cars moving up and down Main Street like miniatures in a child's toy village.

Onus bumped his head against her leg rousing her from her reverie.

"Guess you're ready for supper, huh. I think I have something that might hit your spot."

She went into the kitchen and filled his bowl with cat food.

"Let's get you some fresh water. I wish my dinner was as easy to put together."

"Meow."

Umm, she thought. He actually answered. Must have missed me a little.

"Maybe a hot bath and a soak will rejuvenate these tired, sore bones and muscles," she told the cat as she wandered to the bathroom shedding the dusty, dirty clothes.