55

"It's beautiful here, Ruth. And I just decided I needed a break. Besides, there is the chance to get that Stricker guitar. Do you play?"

"You couldn't call it that. I was so lucky Hobie agreed to appear at The Band-Aid. It draws such a crowd. Helps with donations for the center, too. Hobie has been a godsend."

"I've been a fan of Hobie for years. I heard him live in Nashville a couple of years back. He was playing one of the first guitars he ever made. It had the sweetest sound I ever heard.

Right then and there, I promised myself if I ever got the chance, I would try to get my hands on one. My grandfather taught me to play when I was a kid. I still have his old guitar, but there's nothing like a Stricker."

"Well, if you liked his guitar," Ruth said, "I am sure you will like the man. He is one of a kind. Even though he is so famous, he still has both feet on the ground. He's the nicest man you'd ever want to meet. He's just a regular guy.

And I couldn't believe it when he told me he'd be willing to donate his time teaching the kids in the area, too. He loves these mountains. He loves animals. He has even volunteered here a couple of times and helped out with feeding the orphans."

"Is he married? Sounds like he would be a good catch for you."

Ruth smiled. She did not remember telling Declan she was single. And she surely had no idea what his love life was like. She could not tell him that Hobie Stricker was a wonderful guy, but he was just not her type.

"We have a patient who's waiting for us," Ruth said. "Shall we?"

With Ruth's assistance, they anesthetized the young hawk and took x-rays. He noted the bird's feature characteristics: larger broad head, wide wings, powerful thighs, and feet. They observed the heavier blockier build that characterized the female of the species.

Ruth examined the films.

"No broken bones."

"Good," said Declan. "But she's got several tail feathers missing."

Declan looked up. His smile could light up Broadway.