Chapter 14: Noodles and Campus

Jennie POV:

"Next person, Lee Ruby Jane. Please make your way up the stairs to the stage."

I got up from my seat and walked to the stage. I am dress casually. I don't do the graduation tradition, where we dress up like somebody or something. I don't want to participate in them, including having torn clothes.

As I walked up, I shake my hand with the principal and other staff members. The principal gave me my graduation diploma. I walked to the front of the stage, opened my diploma facing them and smiled to the crowd for few seconds before leaving the stage.

I walked to where my mom was and gave her my diploma for her to see.

"Let's get some noodles after this to celebrate your graduation. Does that sound fine?"

"Sure, mom."

After the whole ceremony, my mom drove me to her favorite place. When we got there, I saw several students from my school here, waiting in line.

"Mom, there is a huge line. Do you want to wait?"

"Why not. You only get this rare occurrence once."

"What do you mean by that?"

"The family that own this place only cook a special dish only for high school graduates. College graduates doesn't count as one. In fact, they don't celebrate for them. That is why we are waiting in line. This restaurant will not be here for long because the family have been running this business for 60 years. It's the only place known for this type of noodles you never seen in modern time. If you went somewhere else, you wouldn't even get to taste it."

"That makes me want to try it."

"Well that's the spirit."

As the line gets smaller, the day is turning darker.  The more people walked out, the more closer we are to the inside. Originally, we have to be at a far end of the street when we first arrived. Now, we are just a few feet touching the surface of the restaurant.

I can smell the aroma of strong flavors coming from the kitchen. The dish is serve in a cute traditional bowl that is made out of craved wood, representing the old traditions. It's a decent size to fill one's own stomach. I'm sure that once I get one of them, I would cherish the taste of the soup by going through each scoop slowly.

When we reached the cashier, my mom said, "Two Jajangmyeon soup noodles."

The cashier applied, "Anything else?"

"That would be all and its to go."

As my mom paid for both our meals, I looked into the window of the door that leads to the kitchen. I see flames brawling with the cooking pan, making the dish that is being cooked on fire.

"Let's sit over here and wait, Jennie."

I nodded and followed her, leaving the site of the kitchen behind. We went to sit in the bench area, waiting for our numbers to be called. My mom took out her phone from her bag and opened the screen. She went to the photos and showed me my picture. I was dressed in a cap and gown with my diploma looking at the camera. I had this big gummy smile that my mom said reminded me of her when she was my age. She missed doing that smile. Now, she can't.

"Order 368!"

My mom checked her receipt and saw it matched with the announcer.

"Let's get our food."

We both got up and walked to the counter. Mom took the food and we thanked the cashier before leaving the restaurant. We went to her car and drove home.