Flight Risk (3/4)

You're my sunrise, you keep comin' up You're in every conversation, every smoky situation
If it's water, if it's whiskey in my cup
You're the memories I'm drinkin', you're the thoughts I'm always thinkin'
It don't matter how far I run
You're the one that I can't run from
Used to be my late nights, love me till the daylights
Now you're just my sunrise, you keep comin' up
Sunrise x Morgan Wallen

Spicy times ahead friends, 18+

Bristol

I'm an idiot.
A certified moron to think I could keep my feelings for Jake fucking Seresin at a surface level.

To make matters worse, I'm an even bigger idiot to think he wouldn't haunt my every waking thought when I pushed him out of my life.
Nat and Bob have asked me what's up on numerous occasions, and l've successfully skirted answering them. Whether or not they believe me is a different story. Natasha is the one person l've talked to about my relationship with Jake. She and I have been friends since she met Bradley in flight school and the permanent move to Miramar has only made our bond tighter. She's been my best friend, second only to Jake. Until recently, I guess. I thought icing Jake out would make my life easier, but I think it's worse now than before. I see him everywhere. The clean break I was hoping for is a splintered mess. I swear, every little thing reminds me of him. I went grocery shopping and instinctively grabbed a tub of the disgusting plain Greek yogurt he puts in his breakfast smoothies. I went to order a pizza and had one with sausage on one half and pepperoni on the other before I could even realize it, then quickly took off both toppings altogether. Hell, a bird shit on my windshield the other day and it reminded me of when a seagull dropped a bomb on him at the beach a few months back. I missed him so much that it hurt and I found myself almost breaking down and calling him on more than one occasion.

Then my dumbass thought of the genius idea to mislead him into thinking I was dating Cole. In theory, it was gonna work out great. Nat had come to pick me up from work one day because I had a nasty ocular migraine, and she had left Cole stunned. When I came back to work the next day, he has asked me about her and I offered to set them up. Since Natasha Trace is intimidating by nature, unless she lets you in her inner circle, he was a little skittish on being set up on a blind date. So l offered to bring him around the squad until he felt comfortable enough to ask her out himself. In a shocking twist of events, the great Phoenix herself loves the sweet, quiet type and they hit it off immediately. Since they weren't ready to let the nosy shits that are our friends into their newly developed relationship, we came to the agreement that we would all keep up the current dynamic of Cole sticking close by me whenever they were around. While Nat has a take no shit mentality, she's also a terrible liar and wouldn't be able to deny if anyone suspected anything. Me, however? I'm a Bradshaw, mischief and a way with words are in my genetics so it was easy for me to give believable non answers. Plus, for my own selfish gain, it let Jake to believe Cole was there for me, even though I neither confirmed nor denied it. Which is how I find myself locked in the warm embrace of one Jake Seresin on the patio of the Hard Deck, my true feelings for him escaping the jar that l've tried to keep sealed tight.

"No matter how hard I tried to run from how I felt about you, feel about you, I couldn't ever get far." I admit, my chin dropping to my chest to avoid his bright green gaze. "I get it if you don't want this, I was a complete bitch and I'm an absolute mess."

A warm palm finds it's way to my cheek, thumb landing on my chin and pushing up. "Good thing I've been conditioned to keep things clean for the better part of my life," Jake teases.

My nose scrunches and his hands settle back on the railing behind me. "That was bad."

"Yeah, it was. I'll give you that," Jake chuckles.
"But I want you and every bit of chaotic energy that comes with you. I never thought I'd want to be a one woman kinda guy, the idea used to give me hives for fucks sake! But then you came along and knocked me on my ass without even trying.  Sure, it started as just sex. Then you took care of me when I celebrated a little too hard after Mav's promotion. I thought it was all a drunken dream until woke up with a trash can by the bed and my sheets smelled like coconut because you were still there."