Cover Me Up x Morgan Wallen

Part two of Living For the Night!

Such damage was done
But I made it through, 'cause somebody knew
I was meant for someone

Honey
6 weeks ago

"C'mon, pretty girl, you gotta punch out!"

My head is fuzzy as I come to, but I'd be able to pick up Jake's voice in a crowd with no difficulty.  That's when I finally hear Coyote frantically yelling my name, telling me to eject.

"Copy!  Eject, eject, eject!"  I grip the handle and tug hard, wind immediately whipping around me as my seat launches from the plane.  I sigh in relief when I turn to see Javy following close behind me.  In my daze, I don't realize how close I was to the tree line.  The second green flashes in my vision, I pull my chute and make a hard landing, which knocks me unconscious once again. 

The next time I come around, I'm woken up to the sound of various monitors beeping and am in a hospital bed. I catch a glimpse of Javy running out of the door, quickly returning with a nurse in tow.

"Hi sweetheart, do you know where you are?" The elderly nurse with a kind smile asks me.

I shake my head no, or at least I try to, the motion sending searing pain through me and making me groan.  "I know I'm in a hospital, but I don't know where or why.  What happened?"

The nurse, whose name tag says "Joyce," tells me that I'm in the hospital following a hard ejection and pauses to let me sip on some water before she starts in on my injuries. 

With a deep breath, she asks if I remember anything, which I softly answer no to.  "Alright, there's no easy way to say this, so I'm just gonna go for it.  You have a severe concussion, multiple fractured ribs, a dislocated shoulder, a ligament tear in your hip, several deep contusions, and you suffered a miscarriage."

It takes me a second to process everything she said thanks to the concussion.  When her final words hit, I suck in a breath that is accompanied by sharp pains in my chest and stomach.  "A miscarriage?  I didn't even know I was pregnant...I wouldn't have gotten in the cockpit if I knew, I swear!  I would never-"

The nurse quickly grabs my hand and cuts me off before I send myself into a spiral.  "Oh, honey.  I don't doubt that for a second.  You were only about 6 weeks along, I'm not surprised you didn't know.  I know it won't make it less painful, but the baby probably hadn't even attached to your uterus yet, that's how early it was.  Given that, we won't have to do anything surgical as it passes.  It'll most likely feel like a really bad cycle for you with stronger cramps and heavier bleeding.  We can talk about it more later, you need your rest right now."

She gives my hand a gentle squeeze before pushing more medicine through my IV and then heading for the door, pausing to let me know to push the call button if I need anything.  Once she leaves the room, I turn to Javy.

"Javs..."

My eyes fill with tears and he's quick to gently tug me into his arms.  "It's ok, Honey.  You didn't know.  We're just happy you're alive, we thought we lost you for a little bit.  Jake was beside himself, we all were."

"Oh my God, Javy!  Jake!  Where is he?!" I'm scanning the room, looking for him or anyone else who may have tucked themselves into a corner, but I come up short.

"The rest of the squad got redeployed.  Apparently the planes that intercepted us were part of a much larger fleet and they didn't even make it off the carrier before they were sent back out.  They're still out there, which is why he's not glued to your side.  Since you and I both had to eject, we're grounded until we're medically cleared." Javy explains as he gently rubs my back.