Shook Me All Night Long

She was a fast machine, she kept her motor clean
She was the best damn woman that I ever seen

Jake Seresin was a man with a deep rooted admiration and appreciation for exactly three things: Four Roses Small Batch bourbon on the rocks, Texas football, and a pretty girl in cutoff shorts.  You can't fault him on that last one, though.  He grew up watching the original Dukes of Hazzard and was about 17 when the Jessica Simpson reboot rolled out.  It's safe to say Daisy Duke laid the framework for Jake's type.  Imagine Jake's surprise when an afternoon at the Hard Deck provided him with all 3 of his favorite things. 

Penny's bar was the best place to catch a game in San Diego, she made sure non local team games were shown given that the majority of her clientele were naval personnel and Fightertown and Coronado transplants. And that's exactly where you could catch Jake today, sticking out like a sore thumb in his bright Texas orange. Perched on a stool near the pool table, Jake's eyes were locked on the screen hanging on the wall.  College GameDay was on campus in Tuscaloosa, where the Longhorns will be taking on the overhyped University of Alabama, and a look of disgust slipped across his face when half of the hosts favored the Tide to win. 

What redneck dumbfuck came up with that anyway?  They're the Crimson Tide but their mascot is an elephant, how does that even make sense?

Jake's silent judgment was interrupted by a tinkling giggle coming from the bar.  When he looks up, he immediately takes notice of the stunner in a familiar burnt orange.  His eyes scan the big block letters that spell TEXAS across her shirt, then sink lower on their own volition.  With her elbows laid on the bar top as she orders and chats with Penny, she's slightly bent at her waist and it gives Jake a fantastic view of her ass in jean shorts and her long, tan legs that end in well worn boots. 

His body kicks into autopilot, feet carrying him towards the bar and the bombshell leaned against it before he even knew what was happening.  Sidling up to the bar next to the stranger, he leans on his own elbow in just enough time for him to hear her order a drink. 

"A blackberry bourbon smash sounds like a dream, Pen."

Jake's jaw goes slack.  A girl who drinks bourbon?  On purpose?  He must be dreaming. 

"Ah, here's the other culprit responsible for drinking me out of Four Roses on Saturdays.  Jake, this is Honey.  Honey, this is Jake." Penny introduces them with a smile.  "You need a refill?" She asks Jake, tipping her head towards his almost empty glass. 

He manages a nod and a smile in response before the well loved bar back turns around to make their drinks.

"You know, I've been in the desert for a while, but I think this is the first time I've seen a mirage." Jake says with a smile in Honey's direction.

The sweet giggle lilts through the air again and Jake feels like he might be going into G-LOC at the sound.

"Not a mirage, I'm afraid.  But thank you for the compliment."  Her responding grin is almost innocent enough for him to miss the underlying mischief. 

Almost.

"I don't catch a lot of orange around here, how'd a pretty girl like you end up at a hole in the wall with west coast rejects like me?"

Honey's eyebrow pops up as she gestures between my Texas baseball jersey and her long sleeved shirt.  "Unless you're a bandwagon fan, I'd venture to say the same reason as you.  My roommate might have banned me from watching games at the house after I threw the remote and broke a lamp..."

Jake almost fell over, convinced he'd found the perfect girl.  He was on the verge of proposing on the spot, but Texas took off towards the end zone and they both jumped up in celebration.  Penny returned shortly after, fresh drinks in hand, and Jake invited Honey to join him in the corner to watch the game.  They spent the next two hours learning the who/what/when/where/why's about each other.  Honey grew up outside of San Antonio, did her undergrad at UT Austin, and earned her PhD in biological sciences with an emphasis on neurobiology at UCSD.