Peace

"𝙸 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚗𝚝 𝚛𝚞𝚕𝚎𝚍 𝚒𝚝 𝚘𝚞𝚝, 𝚋𝚞𝚝 𝙸 𝚍𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚌𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚋𝚎𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚌𝚎𝚍 𝚒𝚗𝚝𝚘 𝚊𝚗𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐. 𝙽𝚘 𝚖𝚊𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚑𝚘𝚠 𝚜𝚊𝚏𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚋𝚎𝚊𝚞𝚝𝚒𝚏𝚞𝚕 𝚒𝚝 𝚒𝚜, 𝚊 𝚌𝚊𝚐𝚎 𝚒𝚜 𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚊 𝚌𝚊𝚐𝚎"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I heard the door open, letting me know that I had a visitor coming down the hallway. Any other person would probably be elated. I, on the other hand, was heavily inconvenienced.

I sat down on the very uncomfortable mat that served as my makeshift bed, wrapping my arms around my legs as I awaited my unwelcomed guest.

Fyodor rounded the corner with Ivan right behind him, carrying a table, a chair and a box. He folded out the small table, then the chair, and placed the box down. Fyodor waved his hand, dismissing his servant as he took a seat.

"Good evening, assassin," he spoke monotonously.

I didn't reserve the patience to respond. His presence alone disrupted me, and I wouldn't initiate anything that might invite him to stay any longer than he intended.

"Another day without rest?" He asked, though it was more of a statement. I kept my gaze to my knife that I was twirling lazily between my finger tips. He hadn't earned any sort of reaction from me.

"Do you like puzzles?" He questioned, opening up the box.

"No," it was a short and blunt answer. I'm sure my tone was rather audacious, but I couldn't say that I cared. It's not like what I did or said would matter. Once a prisoner, always a prisoner. Even after I am released from this cage, I knew I wouldn't feel any less trapped.

"How are you enjoying your stay?" He asked as if I were a guest in his home.

I merely rolled my eyes. I didn't care for his blatantly forced interest. My enjoyment wasn't a factor here, and I loathed the fact that he tried to pretend it was.

"Tell me, have you heard of the Russian Sleep Experiment?" Fyodor purred as he placed a piece of his puzzle down.

"No," I answered plainly. I watched through the glass as he tapped a few more pieces in place.

"In the late 1940s, Russian researchers kept 5 people awake for 15 days, using a special gas based stimulant," he started to explain. He continued to tap pieces into place, only stopping to analyze the puzzle with his hand tucked under his chin.

"The test subjects were prisoners, deemed enemies of the state during World War 2," he proceeded.

"I fail to see what this has to do with me," I held onto my knees, keeping them tight against my chest.

Fyodor shot me a menacing glare with those violet eyes of his, warning me to silence myself. This was so unnatural for me - to despise someone so immensely that I felt as if my bones would melt within my own body. I expected it when he first captured me, but I didn't expect it to follow me into captivity itself.

"Everything was fine for roughly five days. The prisoners were falsely promised freedom for their compliance, therefore they had no reason to fight back. However," he slid another piece into place.

"After those five days, they started to reminisce on their previous errors - trying to calculate how exactly they ended up where they were. From there, they started to demonstrate symptoms of extreme paranoia, distrust, and all around madness"

"They began turning on their comrades, hoping with futility, that they would earn a more hasty release from the experiment. Though after 9 days, the first of them began to scream," he smirked as he glanced at me through the corner of his eyes.