I Hope So

"𝙸𝚗 𝚊𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚞𝚗𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚎, 𝚖𝚢 𝚠𝚒𝚗𝚍𝚘𝚠 𝚒𝚜 𝚘𝚙𝚎𝚗 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙸'𝚖 𝚕𝚊𝚢𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚘𝚗 𝚖𝚢 𝚏𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚛. 𝙸 𝚊𝚖 𝟷𝟸 𝚢𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚜 𝚘𝚕𝚍. 𝙽𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚋𝚊𝚍 𝚑𝚊𝚜 𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚙𝚎𝚗𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚖𝚎 𝚢𝚎𝚝"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I stuffed my knives into their hidden places, buttoning up my assassins cloak in the process. It feels like its been centuries since ive worn this attire. Six whole months had passed since I arrived here. Three whole months of grieving the loss of my brother. I knew part of this could be a trap, and yet here I was. The idea that Niklaus was still alive was enough to lure me to any decision, no matter how devestating.

I knew, even as i snuck through the front door and into my taxi, that there was no going back from this. This was a breach of contract. Fyodor would kill me for this, regardless of the outcome. I was desperately clinging to the hope that this wasnt a hoax, and that Fyodor would offer Klaus the same kindness that he had given me at my arrival. That would make all of this worth it.

It felt like it took forever for the taxi to arrive at the old abandoned building. It seemed as though it used to be a skyscraper, which was of no help in terms of actually locating my brother. I counted the windows as my boots clashed against the gravel. 53. There was 53 floors that I had to scour.

The wind licked my cheek with the loose strands of my raven hair, offering an eerie chill as the decaying metal door screeched. It nearly fell off its hinges as I forced my way through, immediately scanning my surroundings.

"Niklaus?" I called out. My voice echoed off the empty walls and bounced around the abyss. It was dark, and quiet. Too quiet.

"Ana!" I could hear him. It was faint, as though he were a mile away, but it was enough.

I took off up the crumbling staircase to my left. Pieces of rock and dust fell with each step, casting themselves over the metal railing. The building groaned louder the higher i climbed, telling me that it was just one wrong step away from collapsing.

"Niklaus!" I called out again, a little more desperate this time. There was this sinking feeling in my gut. The kind of feeling that tells you something bad is going to happen. I knew i had very limited time.

"Ana," I didnt have time for relief when Klaus came into view. I knew that voice, and it didnt belong to my dearest brother.

I stopped dead in my tracks, directly in the doorway. I kept my gaze upon my brother, who was strapped tightly to a chair in the middle of the empty room. His wavy brunette locks hung over his eyes as he kept his head down low, and the rope seemed to be digging into his muscular arms. His jaw was tight and I could tell he was in pain.

"Andrew," I stated. It was his name, but at this moment, it was more of a slur.

The man stalked out from the shadows, stepping around me like he was inspecting his finest specimen. The hairs on my back stood erect and every nerve in my body was working in overdrive, doing their absolute best to track my old tutor.

"I must admit, when Christopher told me to do this as a backup plan, I didnt think it would work. I said, boss, you really think shes that stupid? No. Surely I taught her better than that," he rambled as he came to a halt behind me.

I didnt think twice before I took the opening. I swung my arm back, blade in hand. Andrew swiftly ducked and held up a remote with his hands in the air defensively.

"If I were you, I would play by my rules. All it takes is one little tap, and you and your brother will be blown to bits. What do they call that? Ah. yes. Pink mist," he taunted.