Ability

"𝙼𝚢 𝚎𝚢𝚎𝚜 𝚛𝚎𝚏𝚞𝚜𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚠𝚊𝚝𝚌𝚑 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚟𝚎, 𝚜𝚘 𝚝𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚜 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚋𝚕𝚞𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚖𝚎𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚢" -𝙿𝚎𝚛𝚛𝚢

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Ana, its been two days. I can take over from here, just go get some sleep," Niklaus crouched down next to me, resting his weight on his heels.

I shook my head with the ghost of a laugh. "I was trained to be an Assassin. Im used to this," I dismissed. I knew he was concerned, but I couldnt leave Ivan. It felt like the second id go to leave, hed slip away and all of this would have been for nothing.

"Wasnt Fyodor supposed to be the case you were working on when you left?" His knees cracked as he stood up to sit on the edge of the bed. He faced me with his head down, resting his elbows on his thighs. His hair was longer than he usually kept it, and it hung just above his eyes so i couldnt completely tell what he was feeling. If i had to guess, id say he's still processing.

"Yes," I chewed on the skin of my bottom lip as I dabbed the rag across Ivans forehead. "He was the most wanted criminal across Japan and America," I added. By this point, i had given up hiding things from him. I didnt have the energy to keep the facade going, and it would only hurt us both in the end anyways.

"What did he do?" He lifted his head up to look at me. He didnt seem to have any outward judgements, and I took that as a sign that it was safe to talk about it now.

"I wouldnt say he did anything in particular to warrant such an audience, but to summarize - he wants to end all ability users. He believes that abilities have brought sin and suffering to this world, and he wants to eliminate them," I reached down to rinse the rag in the bucket of ice water.

"So he wants to commit genocide? Who does he think he is? God?" Klaus shook his head with wide eyes.

I couldnt hold back the chuckle at his choice of words. "I wouldnt say genocide... To be honest, I'm unsure if ending abilities will kill the users or not. Though I do know that if he has a choice, he will spare their lives"

"Ana," Niklaus called my name with serious intent. I knew what he was hinting at.

"He doesnt know," i answered his silent question.

"What happens if he finds out?" He said with worry.

I squeezed the excess water from the rag, watching it pour into the bucket. I oddly found myself relating to the inanimate object. I was trying my best to just exist, and yet here the universe was, wringing me dry of any sustenance i had left within myself.

"He doesnt have the book yet, which he needs for his goal, so that only leaves one real answer," I responded quietly. Niklaus was smart enough to know what I meant, and his silence only confirmed that.

"How long has it even been since you've used yours?" He averted his gaze.

"As far as im concerned, my ability died the same day you did," I shrugged. I wanted to pretend like it didnt phase me, but it did. In fact, i remembered every single detail.

I started with the one and only family trip we had ever taken. Word got out about Daniellas infidelity, and Christopher was trying to cover it up. He decided the best way to do so was to all go to this absurd water park and act is if we were picture perfect. Klaus was only around 3 years old at the time, so it was pretty easy for him, but the rest of us couldnt say the same.

Daniella and Christopher spent most of the time arguing through faked smiles and aggressive whispers, and i had to sit back and pretend that I loved to watch my brother. I didnt exactly hate it, but what could you really expect from a 7 year old? I was more focused on pretending I was a mermaid than what baby Klaus was up to. Boy, were there consequences to that. I think that's probably the day my imagination died too.