𝟏𝟐. one for sorrow. two for joy

3.8k words.

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

One for sorrow. two for joy
"I'm so sorry, Y/N."
~A few hours after the incident~

[5:37 am]

One for sorrow
Two for joy
Three for a girl
Four for a boy
Five for silver
Six for gold
Seven for a secret never to be told

It was useless. The poetry book in the hospital's dim waiting room provided no solace, its words failing to alleviate the weight of concern pressing down on you. As you tried to come to terms with the tragic events unfolding, the absence of hope felt suffocating. Your mind raced, trying to distract itself from the bad situation unfolding in the surgery room where Marco fought for his life. Reiner and Bertolt, equally anxious, sitting by your side, their concern the same as yours. They too feared the loss of a friend. Reiner had informed others, though most were likely still asleep, unaware of the events gripping you all. Suddenly, footsteps approached, accompanied by a familiar voice—Eren's. Your tear-filled eyes met his, silently conveying the depth of your anguish. "What happened?" He sits next to you, his arm moving around your shoulders. You couldn't speak, the lump in your throat was too great to even choke out a singular word. Reiner spoke for you, knowing you hadn't said a word the entire time that you were here. It wasn't going to change.

Reiner explained what he knew and what he had observed when they found you and Marco desperately screaming for help. An ambulance was quick to arrive at the scene, escorting you all into the vehicle. Marco was still breathing the entire journey as the paramedics tried their best to resuscitate him. There was a small amount of hope.

Eren and Reiner stayed by your side, they were both comforting you. They knew what you had seen had traumatised you.

"Friends of Marco Bodt?" A doctor emerged. All of your heads look up, signalling the doctor over. "Good morning, I just wanted to let you know that the surgery was successful."
Your eyes lit up with hope but that was until the doctor continued, "Unfortunately, he is still in critical condition. He won't be awake for a couple of hours, you'll be able to see him soon. I advise you all to go home and come back, you must be tired." He smiled to try and reassure you all, walking away down the hallway leading to the surgical suits. You looked over at Reiner and Bertolt, "You guys don't have to stay but I am." They both nodded, "Are you sure?" Reiner asked with his brows knitted together in concern. "Don't worry, I'll stay with Y/N," Eren assured the two males. They agreed and said their "goodbyes" to you both.

"You don't have to stay, Eren. I'll be fine," you sighed. "No, I'm staying. whether you like it or not," he leant back into the uncomfortable chair. "I think you need someone here, you've been through hell tonight."
You broke a small smile at his kind gesture, he truly was a great guy. "Okay."
He returned the smile and wrapped his arm back around you, he was there to support you. No matter what.

__________

Jean's Pov.

[Hey Alexa, Play 'Glimpse of Us' by Joji]

As he gradually emerged from the depths of sleep, a throbbing ache pulsed through his head, a reminder of the amount he had drank that night. His surroundings slowly came into focus: scattered clothes thrown across the floor, the soft sunlight of dawn peeking through the curtains. Casting a weary glance around the room, his gaze landed on Pieck, her form peaceful in slumber beside him, her arm draped lightly over his torso. Yet, despite her comforting presence, his thoughts stubbornly gravitated towards you.