Two

Subtrist
(Adj.)
Slightly sad.

"Hey." Isaac nearly jumped out of his skin at the voice. He turned to see Jess standing there with a cocky grin. He immediately smiled to himself.

"Way to sneak up on someone." He said to the boy wearing that ever so contagious smile. "Hey."

"So, Mister 'I notice things', it's time to prove yourself."

"Oh no." He said it but Isaac wasn't scared. Jess had too wide of a smile for him to be scared.

"Oh yes. C'mon now." Jess began walking and he tugged on Isaac's elbow a bit to get him to walk as well. They walked in silence through the halls and Isaac noticed Jess's smile fading as it got more crowded. "Ah-hah. Who's that?"

He made a nod to someone. Isaac looked over and saw Alice. "Oh. That's that sophomore girl, I think her name's Alice. Don't you hangout with her sometimes? She doesn't have very many friends, I don't think. She talks like she's full of energy and uses her hands to explain things a lot."

Jess had a small smile as he looked at the boy next to him, Isaac would never admit it but it made his insides swell. "Yeah, that was pretty spot on."

He looked around the halls as they kept walking, Zack wasn't sure where they were going but first hour had just ended a few moments before Jess found him so he wasn't too worried. Isaac's second hour teacher, Ms Lylic, likes him so he wouldn't get in too much trouble even if he was late.

"Oh. Who's that?" He motioned over to a senior girl.

"That? That's Tiana. She's friends with nearly everyone. I had multimedia with her freshman year and she made lots of mental health jokes. I don't think I've ever talked to her though."

Jess nodded approvingly. "Yeah okay." He paused while looking around again before nudging Isaac's shoulder. "Her."

He motioned to a redhead who Zack recognized. "Don't know her name but she's a high energy freshman. She's got a short, blonde girlfriend, Hannah I think, who is friends with Jordy." Jordy was a senior and friends with nearly everyone, he's the only reason Zack even knew who the redhead was because he's close friends the girl's girlfriend.

"Yeah." Jess nodded. "Well, you win this time." And then he slipped into his class.

Zack smiled before turning around and picking up his pace to go back the way to his class. Inside his classroom Jess grinned from his seat because he saw through the window that Isaac had turned around. He didn't know if the jock had just gotten distracted or didn't care but either way he let Jess lead him in the wrong direction of his class just to talk. Jess smiled, amused, at that.

○●○●○

Jess walked home. He did every day, all the time. That wasn't unusual. And taking the door out of the school that lead by the football field shouldn't have seemed too abnormal. He doesn't do it often but it can't be marked as strange in any way. So today when he turned in the hall and opened up that door to leave, few people turned their heads to see.

The dark headed boy walked down the path, having his phone in his hand and looking at it as he walked. He didn't look like there was a really specific reason other than to walk home, totally nonchalant. However once he got closer to the field his head popped up.

He looked over onto the field where sweaty boys in red T-shirts and black shorts were running around. Jess looked out and he didn't see him at first but he did eventually find who he was looking for.

Isaac Johnson, number 25.

Jess didn't have a reason to look for him but the boy had caught his eye yesterday. He'd surprised him. Jess never thought Isaac was the type to notice anything outside his perfect little bubble, but he'd been proved wrong and now his interest was spiked.