Twenty-Nine

Zack was overjoyed to sit in the living room with his boyfriend and his father. He cared about Jess a great deal and seeing the boy he liked so much sitting next to him talking to his dad with matching smiles was heartwarming. It also helped both of them relax knowing that the man had definitely seen the hickey but didn't spare it more than a second glance.

They talked about basic things. School was on the list, hobbies Jess had, Jess's family situation (which Jess only seemed a little uncomfortable talking about in the beginning before he realized Dave wouldn't prod when he avoided a question), and how the hell he put up with Isaac. That was actually the current topic.

"I must ask, how do you even put up with him?" His dad said it with such a teasing tone they all chuckled. When Jess smiled like he was going to answer Isaac's full attention was on him.

"It takes work, I'll admit." Jess said through a chuckle. Isaac feigned offense and the fondness in Jess's eyes as he looked over made his stomach flip. "He's cute though so that makes up for it."

"Yes, I have a very nice face." Isaac nodded along and Jess laughed.

"I meant your personality is cute. The looks are a bonus." Jess said without any shame in his voice.

Isaac grinned wider than he'd ever admit. Jess seemed to like that reaction because he was smiling too. Dave was staring between both of them, happy his son was happy.

Knocking made the conversation come to a pause. Isaac and Dave shared confused looks. Neither of them were expecting anyone.

With that knowledge Dave stood up and walked over to the door. He opened it and frown at the sight before him. "Can I help you?"

The teenager gave him a nervous smile. "Hey, Dad."

At the familiar voice Isaac and Jess both whipped around on the couch with wide eyes. Ki stood there in front of Dave, looking in at them. He gave Isaac a (very) weak, guilty smile before looking back at Dave. "Can I maybe talk to Zack?"

Dave looked unimpressed. "I don't know if he wants to see you."

The boy nodded in acceptance. "I understand that, I really do, but I'd appreciate it if you could ask."

Dave looked over his shoulder at his son. Jess looked at him too. Isaac hesitated but gave a slow nod. "We'll talk outside."

He put a hand on Jess's thigh before getting up, kissing his cheek and whislering to him. "I'll be right back. It'll be okay."

Jess nodded and Isaac got up to walk over there. His dad stepped back to let him walk past. He gave the older man a smile before shutting the door behind him.

Once alone he turned to Ki. The boy looked sick with nerves. He leaned against the door behind him and cleared his throat. "If you say anything disrespectful I'm going back in there and won't give you another glance again."

The words seemed to hurt him. Good. They hurt to say but Isaac knew he meant them. This was Ki's last chance.

"I know, you should." Ki nodded. "I was a complete asshole. I'm so sorry."

The words were everything Isaac had been hoping he would say.

"I should've told Jace to shut up. I should've stuck up for you." He shook his head. "I was just- it was crazy. I couldn't believe it. I mean, all my life that's never been a thing y'know? My parents never said anything about that type of thing and so I picked up things from other people, and with who I was around as a kid that wasn't good. Everyone else was homophonic so I just got that from them and then you came out and it was just- I didn't know what to do."