Six

Druxy
(Adj.)
Something whole on the outside but rotten inside.

Jess woke up early Saturday morning. He yawned as he sat up. He needed to be up and awake in case Cliff dropped Daisy off.

He managed to get himself out of bed and he headed downstairs. His mom wasn't down there and it didn't look like she had been. Probably still wallowing in her sadness.

He went into the kitchen and looked through the food options. There wasn't much but he usually wasn't very hungry anyway, today was no different. He grabbed a baby orange and ate that.

Shuffling into the living room he collapsed on the couch. He wasn't in much of a TV mood so he just wrapped himself up in a blanket and pulled up his phone. He decided to scroll on Pinterest for a bit. (Idk yall what do normal people do on their phones?)

Knocking on the door brought him out of his daze. He jumped up quick and walked over there. The door opened to reveal his ex-stepfather.

"Cliff, hey." He smiled politely at the man before his eyes moved to the little girl standing next to him. "Daisy!"

He crouched down to her level and opened up his arms. She ran into them and hugged him tight. "Jessie!"

Cliff clearing his throat made Jess let go of the girl and stand up again. "I tried calling your mother but she wouldn't pick up."

"She's sleeping. Sometimes it takes a little work to wake her up." Jess said, trying his best to keep the polite attitude. Kleandra was probably out after bawling herself to sleep.

"Well, when should I pick Daisy up?" He asked.

"When do you want to?" The expression he made to Jess's question made it obvious he didn't even want to leave the girl here at all.

"Well, tonight or tomorrow. Depends what your plans are."

"I don't have any plans this weekend. I thought Daisy might be over so I cleared my schedule." Not that he ever had plans in the first place. He never had plans.

Cliff seemed to relax. "Well then. Tomorrow around lunch?"

"That works. One?"

"Sounds fine to me. Daisy, be good for your mom and Jess okay?"

"I will." The little girl grinned from her spot next to Jess's leg.

"Alright. I'm leaving now."

The man gave his daughter a hug and then he shook Jess's hand and left. Jess shut the door and turned to his little sister. "What shall we do now?"

"We could eat." Daisy said with a cheeky smile.

"Why, Daisy, have you not had breakfast?" He kept a smile on his face as well.

"I have, but nothing is as good as your peanut butter waffles." She answered and Jess had to chuckle.

The boy liked to cook and two Christmases ago he got a waffle maker as a present. He made his siblings all waffles for lunch and Daisy had decided to experiment with peanut butter on her's. Jess then added some chocolate syrup as well and she loved it. Cliff apparently didn't make that type of stuff for her because it was too unhealthy. He never told Jess not to make them anymore though.

"Okay, let's go make some waffles."

"Yay!" Daisy cheered and followed Jess to the kitchen.

"Grab the flour for me?" Jess asked while going over to the fridge for eggs. Daisy ran over and used a little step stool to reach the counter and grab the bag. "Careful."