Twenty-One

Zack would be lying if he said he wasn't absolutely petrified for today. He woke up to his alarm and the sick feeling was in his stomach immediately. His run didn't get rid of it and his shower couldn't wash it off.

He sighed and decided to call Jess. Based on the groan the boy let out as soon as he answered, Isaac had woken him up. It made him smile.

"I'm sorry, were you asleep?"

"Yes." Then there was a little yawn. "Are you okay?"

"I'm... a little nervous." Isaac admitted.

"You don't have to do anything you don't want to. If you're not ready to come out you don't have to."

"I want to." Isaac said honestly. He did want to. He didn't want to keep Jess a secret, he wanted his friends to know.

"Okay. Just don't feel pressured by thinking you have to."

"I don't." Isaac paused for a minute. "Can I pick you up today?"

"I can walk. I only live like 10 minutes from the school."

"I know." Zack spoke softly. "I'd still like to pick you up if it's okay."

Jess laughed softly. It was evident he was still tired. "Yes, you can pick me up."

"Okay." Zack's smile was wide. "I'll see you soon."

"Okay."

Isaac hung up the phone and went back to getting ready. Once he had ate breakfast, brushed his teeth, and ran his hands through his hair ten times more than usual to make sure he looked good, he left.

When he pulled up to the curb he didn't even have to get out because immediately, Jess's door opened and he was walking out. Isaac let his eyes roam over the boy as he made his way to the car. The door opened and Jess slid into the seat.

Pale hands reached over and turned the heater on. Isaac chuckled. "Didn't you once say you liked to keep your room freezing? That doesn't seem to match the way you always turn the heat up in my car."

Jess cracked a smile. "I like keeping it cold in my room so I can layer up all my blankets and stay warm. Here, I don't have five blankets to layer on one another so the heater is getting turned on."

Isaac laughed quietly. "Okay, Baby."

Jess's eyes widened and his face slowly turned pink. He turned to look down at his lap as a tiny smile played on his lips. Isaac smiled to himself.

He had been meaning to test out the name and with Jess's reaction he took it as it was okay. He started driving and reached his hand over to grab Jess's. The boy gripped his hand back and they stayed like that during the drive.

They parked in the school parking lot and Isaac looked around. No one was really around and the few that were were walking away from them. He reached over and planted a quick kiss to Jess's lips.

The other boy beamed as they pulled away and Isaac smiled at him. They both then got out of the car and started walking towards the school together. They were next to each other but not touching, neither would cross that boundary just yet.

After getting in the door Jess gave Isaac a small smile. "I'll see you later."

"Yeah, bye."

"Bye."

Then they split up. Jess went one way and Zack went the other, going towards Jace's locker. Just as he had suspected, Ki and Jace were both there.

"Hey." He smiled at them as he approached.