Twenty-Two

Grame
(N.)
[2] Sorrow

Isaac had said he was okay but Jess was still worried. He sat all throughout third hour concerned.

When Tally had come up to him immediately after second hour Jess was a bit confused. They did talk on occasion but Tally was rushing up to him. When the boy told him there was a rumor going around about him and Isaac he knew exactly what it was.

'Apparently Jace told Mason that you turned Isaac gay.'

Jess had to confirm the story and then rushed off to find Isaac. Even when the boy told him he was okay, Jess didn't believe him. His eyes were hurt.

Of course he was hurt. He'd just lost his only close friends. Jess knew he would be hurt but he was still very concerned. Isaac seemed set on acting like he was fine when he wasn't.

Jess knew firsthand how tiring the act could be. There were countless days he had to come into school and whenever people would talk to him he would have to act like he wasn't feeling shitty from a screaming match with his mother the night before. It was exhausting.

He didn't want Isaac to feel like he had to keep up the act. At least not around him.

The bell rang and Jess snapped out of his thoughts. He sighed to himself. One more hour and he could sit down with Isaac and talk about it. One more hour.

He bumped into Ki Lendev in the hall. He took a step back and Ki looked him up and down, recognition making its way to his expression. Finally the boy scoffed and walked off.

It wasn't what Jess had been expecting. He had been thinking that he'd get called a slur and maybe some pushing or shoving. Ki seemed a little mad at him but not really.

The fuck?

He wouldn't overthink good luck. So instead he fell into step and began walking to his fourth hour. He slipped into the class and on his way to his desk someone shouldered past him.

He looked up and saw the back of Ethan Malan. An athletic kid. Of course.

The sudden reminder had him thinking back to his athletic kid. He frowned and really hoped Isaac hadn't been getting this kind of treatment.

"Dude, watch where you're going." A voice cut in and both Jess and Ethan looked back to see Mason.

Jess knew Mason. He was friends with Tally and so he had heard a bit about him. He was also dating Kristi Wilkins who Jess kinda knew. They didn't talk much but when they did she seemed nice. She also talked to Maria and Hailee.

"Did you hear about him?" Ethan looked at the dark haired boy before looking back at Mason.

"Yeah, so what?"

"He's dating Zack." Ethan said and a few kids in the class looked up with shock. Not everyone had heard yet apparently.

"So? What's your problem, did you want him or something?"

Ethan seemed genuinely disgusted at that idea. "Whatever man. Be friends with the fairy if you want."

"Aren't you friends with Zack? Shouldn't you be happy for him?" Mason's voice was even but his face showed he was mad.

"Fuck off." Ethan said simply and went to sit in the corner of the room.

Jess slowly made his way to his usual chair and noticed Mason sitting next to him. The boy leaned over and spoke to Jess, "I'm sorry. He's an idiot."

Jess shrugged it off. "I'm fine. Do you think Isaac's getting treated like that?"

Mason shrugged. "He's probably just getting avoided. Kids in athletics seem to avoid really starting shit between each other because if the coaches hear about it then we all get shit. If anyone does have the balls to do something though I know Zack will stick up for himself."