Disinherited

"He left everything to her?!" Skye shrieked, "Why"

"Who the hell is she?" Zara said, both the sisters sounding like they could kill.

"Avery Kylie Grambs our new local billionaire," I said standing up.

"There must be some mistake" Grayson spoke looking pretty pale, but also the most composed other than Nash, but he was never really composed per se.

Avery stood up "Grayson's right there must be some mistake."

"You see, even Ava agrees; this is ridiculous," I narrowed my eyes at Skye, who was being typically irrational. Growing up with the boys, I learned not to like nor trust her.

"I assure you there is no mistake and I assure the rest of you Tobias Hawthornes' last will and testament is utterly unbreakable. Since the majority of the remaining details concern only Avery, we'll cease with the dramatics. But let me make one thing clear: Per the terms of the will, any heir who challenges Avery's inheritance will godwit their share of the estate entirely."

"No will is that ironclad," Constance said looking angrier than Zara "Not when there's this kind of money at stake."

"Spoken" Nash interjected, "Like someone who didn't really know the old man."

"Traps upon traps" Jameson started looking at Avery,

"Riddles upon riddles," I said smiling.

"I think you should leave," Grayson said walking forward.

"Technically it is her house" I warned, grabbing Grayson's arm to hold him back.

"Catalina's correct," Mr. Ortega said to me before turning to Avery "You own it all Ms. Grambs. Not just the fortune but all of Mr. Hawthornes' properties including Hawthornes House. Pet the terms of your inheritance which I will gladly go over with you the current occupants have been granted tenancy unless— and until — they give you cause for removal" he said gravely "and under no circumstances can those tenants attempt to remove you" The room was silent and still. Everyone looked ready to kill when all of a sudden Oren moved in front of Avery.

"Oren!" Zara said shocked "You work for this family"

"I worked for Mr. Hawthorne," Oren paused before holding up a paper, not just any paper but the letter given to him at the beginning. I grabbed my letter from my lap; surely, this would say at least something about what was happening. "It was his last request that I continue in the employment of Ms. Avery Kylie Grambs," he glanced at Avery. "Security; you will need it."

"And not just to protect you from us!" Xander said,

"Take a step back please" Oren ordered making Xander hold up his hands in surrender.

"Peace" he declared "I make dire predictions in peace" I patted his shoulder as Jameson took a step forward.

"Xan's right" Jameson smiled "The entire worlds going to want a piece of you."

"The story of a century," I said making eye contact with Jameson. 

Avery stood there for a second before running out of the room. "So, what now?"

"Don't know 'bout you guys but I'll be on my way" Nash said leaving, After Nash's departure others started leaving until only me and Jameson were left in the room.

"I'll walk you to your room," Jameson said as I started walking, "So what's in the letter?" he asked

"Don't know, haven't looked yet. And before you ask I'm not opening it right now."

"Wasn't gonna, So one last puzzle from the old man?" Jameson smiled holding up his opened letter.

"When did you open that?" I said surprised but he just shrugged.

"You're not very observant."

"Apparently" I muttered.

"Here read this," he said handing me his letter, I took it from his hands looking at Tobias Hawthornes' last words to his grandson.

Jameson
Better the devil you know than the one you don't— or is it? Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. All that glitter is not gold. Nothing is certain but death and taxes. There but for the grace of God go I. Don't judge.
— Tobias Tattersall Hawthorne

"Hm weird," I said.

"Agreed it's written in proverbs," he said with a calculating expression on his face that he gets whenever he is doing a puzzle.

"Better the devil you know than the one you don't, or is it?" I said rereading the first line, "Does the one you don't know mean Avery?" I spoke.

"I think so and the devil I do know. My family"

"So, if Avery is the devil, he doesn't know why'd he pick her?"

"Don't know yet, I'll keep thinking about it" he said as we arrived at my room. "Well see you tomorrow" 

I waved goodbye before walking into my room. I sat on my bed and stared at my letter. After staring at it for a minute I opened it.

Catalina,
You are probably wondering why I left all the money to Avery. That answer will come soon enough but until then, follow your instincts. Help my grandsons I trust you.
— Tobias Hawthorne

Well, it seems the letter isn't much help other than the fact it confirms what Jameson thought. This is a puzzle. Tobias Hawthorne is messing with all of us after death.