Fact: Xander is the Best Hawthorne

Weeks passed in a blur of charity galas and prep school exams, nights talking with Catalina and Jameson along with too much time spent wondering whether Grayson would ever pick up a damn phone. 

Focus. 

Pushing everything from my mind, I took aim. Looking down the barrel of the gun, I breathed in and out and took the shot—then another and another. The Hawthorne estate had everything, including its own shooting range. I wasn't a gun person. This wasn't my idea of fun. But neither was being defenseless. Forcing my jaw to unclench, I lowered my weapon and took off my ear protection. 

Nash surveyed my target. "Nice grouping, kid." Theoretically, I'd never need a gun—or the knife in my boot. In theory, the Hawthorne estate was impenetrable, and when I went out into the world, I would always have armed security with me. But since being named in Tobias Hawthorne's will, I'd been shot at, nearly blown up, and kidnapped. Theory hadn't kept the nightmares away. Nash teaching me to fight back had. "Your lawyer bring you that trust paperwork yet?" he asked casually. My lawyer was his ex, and he knew her far too well. 

"Maybe," I replied, Alisa's explanation ringing in my ears. Typically, with an heir your age, there would be certain safeguards in place. Since Mr. Hawthorne didn't see fit to erect them, it's an option you should consider yourself. Per Alisa, if I put the money in a trust, there would be a trustee in charge of safeguarding and growing the fortune on my behalf. Alisa and the partners at McNamara, Ortega, and Jones would, of course, be willing to serve as trustees, with the understanding that I would be denied nothing I requested. A revocable trust will simply minimize the pressure on you until you're ready to fully take the reins. 

"Remind me again," Nash told me, bending to capture my gaze with his. "What's our rule about fightin' dirty?" He wasn't nearly as subtle as he thought he was when it came to Alisa Ortega, but I still answered the question. 

"There's no such thing as fighting dirty," I told Nash, "If you win." 

Catalina's Pov

By the time we arrived at Hawthorne House pretty much everything was set up for the surprise. I was assigned to go grab plates and napkins from the kitchen, which apparently, I needed help with... From Jameson.

"You are more of a distraction you know." I reminded him stacking the plates.

"I'm ok with it." he said shrugging.

I scoffed. "Of course you are, we aren't even dating!"

"We're not?"

"No we're not, you haven't asked me yet."

"I've been too busy kissing you."

"Yes well not right now." I said putting the plates on the counter so I could grab the napkins.

"Are you sure." he asked before pulling me into a kiss, I couldn't resist I had to kiss him back.

"I knew it!" I quickly broke away from Jameson to see Xander standing at the entrance to the kitchen.

"Xander go away." Jameson groaned, still standing way to close for the situation.

"Fine I'm leaving." Xander walked out of the kitchen.

"Now where were we?" I went to kiss him when Xander ran back in.

"I just want to say, I won the bet. I guessed you would get together before the end of the year; Max said it would-

"Xander!"

"Ok, ok leaving." This time he left for good and finally I got to kiss him. His lips were soft, his hands moved through my hair; I would have to put it up later, but I didn't care. I just wanted to stand there and kiss him forever, and we almost did before he finally pulled away.