The Library

"We could be making something out of nothing." Avery said. We stood in the library talking about the clue Jameson and I well mainly Jameson figured out earlier today.

"Hawthorne-born or Hawthorne-made, there's always something to be played." Jameson spoke.

"Everything is something in Hawthorne House." I said pacing in front of the table.

"Do you know how many times in our lives one of my grandfather's puzzles has sent us to this room?" Jameson started, "He's probably rolling in his grave that it took me this long to see it."

"What do you think we are looking for?" Avery asked.

"What do you think we are looking for?" Jameson turned around.

"If the clue is a book by its cover," I said when neither one of them said anything more. "Then I'd guess that we're looking for either a book or a cover."

"Maybe a mismatch between the two?" Avery added as I nodded.

"A book that doesn't match its cover?" Jameson said smiling, "There's about a thousand books in here." He looked around glancing at every book.

"It could take hours maybe even days!" I said realizing what he was thinking.

"Well, we better get started." Jameson said grabbing a book.

We worked in silence, when it came dinner time I rushed to the kitchen and back to grab food for Jameson, Avery, and I.

"What if we are wasting our time?" Avery asked nervously.

"Time is money, Heiress. You have plenty to waste."

"Stop calling me that."

"I have to call you something, and you didn't seem to appreciate Mystery Girl or the abbreviation thereof." I rolled my eyes before looking over the rail.

"You could just call her Avery it's not too long of a name." I suggested.

"That just wouldn't do Cal." he said looking up, I sighed and walked down the stairs.

"I have to go; I promised to help Gray with something," I announced, swiftly exiting the room before any objections, particularly from Jameson, could be raised. Navigating the hallway, I arrived at Grayson's room, where I knocked, and he opened the door. "You wanted to see me?"

He motioned for me to follow him to his impeccably organized desk, a stark contrast to Jameson's chaotic space. The room resembled a spacious hotel suite. Observing Avery's name on his computer screen, I inquired, "Gray, what are you doing?"

"I'm researching."

"Researching Avery?"

"I've already mentioned it; I don't trust her."

I let out a sigh. "This approach won't resolve anything. Take the time to get to know her. Engage in conversation. We're working on a clue in the library tomorrow; join us. " I said gesturing to the letter on his desk. With his nod of agreement, I started to leave. "Besides you didn't trust me either when I first arrived, look where we are now."