21:An Old Man Listening To Children's Stories?

Chapter 21: An Old Man Listening To Children’s Stories?

Watching this scholar’s confusion, Li Nianfan continued, “The sun goes up and the sun goes down. This is the law of life. If you can’t even grasp this basic fact, how are you to understand your own life?”

“One would experience the cycle of four seasons in ten years, and in a hundred years, one would experience the cycle of life starting from birth and aging to illness and death. In a thousand years, dynasties and rulers change. And in ten thousand years, one would see the turning of stars. In short, one cannot fathom experiencing all these in one day, so, of course, ordinary men can’t see this world with the lens of a single day!”

The scholar shivered with changing expressions on his face, sometimes excited and sometimes confused.

Li Nianfan left him there and walked back to his mountain. That was all he could help him with. Whether or not this scholar understood him was up to him. Although longevity was the dream of many, it was not worth it at all if one went insane because of this. It was better for ordinary men to be more realistic.

After returning to his residence, Li Nianfan tossed two fishes to Xiao Bai. He placed his order for what he wanted to eat for dinner. Then, he enjoyed his lunch on his own.

Meanwhile, a thousand miles away, an elderly man was rushing to the Wanjian Immortal Sect along with a young man. Both of them were also flying swordsmen.

On the way there, the elderly man was sighing with a look of despair. The young man finally could not help but ask, “Master, I’m afraid the Wanjian Immortal Sect no longer exists. Why’re we still going?”

The elderly man sighed, “Chong Er, cultivators have been going against the law of the sky. We aren’t ordinary men and there’s danger everywhere. When one dies from danger, there may not be anyone to take care of our dead bodies.

“Bai Wuchen and I cultivated swordsmanship for many years and fought one another for a hundred years. Now, only I will be able to take care of his dead bodies.”

“Master, what if we bump into the Sword Demon?” the young man asked worriedly.

The elderly man seemed unperturbed. “Let it be if that’s the case since I don’t have many years left to live anyway. If we do, you should keep running. I’ll buy you some time.”

He said it with a glint of despair in his eyes. Five years ago, his Sect was still in glory, yet the Sword Demon destroyed half of it. Now that he was old, his power was not as strong as before, so much so that the Sword Demon did not even want to challenge him or he would have died a long time ago.

Knowing Bai Wuchen and his stubborn attitude, he knew that Bai Wuchen would not try to escape the Sword Demon. His dead body must have turned cold by now.

Both of them flew into the sky, creating a long arch in their trail. It was not long after that they reached the territory of the Wanjian Immortal Sect.

Meanwhile, the elderly man sensed something and looked in the far opposite direction. Three long arches came into sight.

It was the three of them returning home after listening to Li Nianfan’s storytelling. Seeing this elderly man, Bai Wuchen froze, “Zhao Laotou, what brings you here?”

Zhao Laotou stopped for a moment and stared at Bai Wuchen in disbelief. “Bai Wuchen! Why’re you still alive? I came here to take care of your dead body!”

Bai Wuchen was not offended. He smiled, “Hahaha! Of course not! I’ll die after you and take care of your dead body instead!”

“Hmph!” Zhao Laotou did not refute but he curiously asked, “Didn’t the Sword Demon challenge you? Did you go into hiding?”