The Black Mech: Part 3

Ultra Magnus held the two young mechs close, whole frame tense as he heard the snarling and heavy steps of the black mech outside the building. It was getting extremely late and Drift had long since drifted off into a much needed recharge. Hot Rod was curled tightly in his lap, able to be easily balanced because of his larger frame. One arm cradled the captain of the Lost Light while the other held Drift close to his side, the white swordsmech's helm resting against the side of his chassis. It looks like we'll be spending the night out here. Ultra Magnus thought sourly.

I just hope that Hot Rod can last through the night...

Once the sounds of the mech outside had faded into nothing, the second in command of the ship looks down at the two he was currently holding. They're nothing but teenagers. It's hard to think that they're not even into their young adult frames yet. He was allowing himself to be a heater for the both of them, knowing they needed it what with their energon loss. With energon loss came the cold and even though he was an emotionally stunted mech himself, the S.I.C wasn't going to allow them to freeze out here. Not matter how much they were a pain in the aft.

"What am I going to do with you two...?" He muttered quietly, barely able to even hear himself with how quiet he spoke.

Drift was apparently a drooler in his sleep. Ultra Magnus honestly thought that it would have been Hot Rod who would have drooled in his recharge. But then again, came a thought. Hot Rod's not exactly in recharge now is he? Not once in all of the running had the captain woken up from his unconscious state. If the large blue and red mech was a newbie or didn't know any better, he would have thought that the small flame colored mech would have offlined hours ago. But with the lack of a grey frame and the fact he was still giving off some kind of warmth let the commander know that the captain - who felt more like a charge - was still alive. Just not awake.

With a resigned sigh, Ultra Magnus decided to take a short nap just so that he could stay up all night to keep a look out...

---

"Skyfire you can't go back out there! It's practically dark and those things are out there now! You'll bet shot out of the sky and eaten!" Red Alert shouted as he chased the aerial commander through the lit halls of the Lost Light, trying his best to stop the shuttle-former from leaving for the night. "Red, I know you're just trying to look out for me, but I HAVE to find them! They're out there somewhere and possibly in dire need of help! I'm the only one with a big enough alt mode to bring all three of them back to safety!" The large white winged Cybertronian was trying his best to not lose his temper with the Security Director but it was hard as he battled the intense worry gripping his spark.

"I know that, but those things-"
"-are as much of a threat to me and the crew as they are to the commanders and captain, if not more so Red."

Red Alert thins his lip plates into a fine line in disapproval at being interrupted but he knew that Skyfire had a point. He knew that, but the ship couldn't lose Skyfire either. "The crew, the ship, needed you here Skyfire." Red Alert tried once again to get the large Cybertronian to stay, trying to invoke that sense of loyalty to get him to stay. Sure it was a cheap shot but it was all Red Alert could do not to just lock up the shuttle-former from going out and getting killed. "Exactly, Red, the commanders and the captain are crew. That's why I need to go out and find them and bring them home." The larger Cybertronian's expression changed from annoyed and worried to a kinder one, as the harsh frown eased to just a more neutral displeased look.

All was quiet between the two of them as they stared down each other, both hoping that the other would back down but Skyfire won and Red Alert looked away.