chapter 10

Tyler

It took some time, but I feel better than I have ever felt before. In fact, it took me another full year. But during that time, I focused on bettering myself, for myself. Not for her. Even though she is my end goal. I know that if I can't get myself better than I won't be better for her. My family noticed a change in me, and so did my team. 

I was on top of my game. And not once did I drink to access or get caught up in all the females that were around. Sure, some of the guys that are new to the team wanted me to hang out with them and party. But I couldn't do it. It just didn't feel right.

And even though I was working on myself, not once did I try to look her up.  I didn't want to do that. 

"Tyler, we are heading out to dinner as a team." Jamie said.

"Okay, Chubs, just let me know when and where." 

Jamie set up a dinner for the team, and it was actually good. 

Over the next several weeks, we had a game against Tampa, and it was here at home. Jayson is still our goalie and doing a remarkable job. I got to say our friendship grew. He respected my wishes by never telling me how Rochelle was doing. And to be honest, I think that is what made our bond grow stronger. We won the game 5-2.

"Hey, so uh, there's something I want to ask you guys." Jayson said as we were changing.

"What's that?" I asked.

Jamie just looked at him, not saying a word.

"Well, I am  having a small gathering at my place in a few weeks and would like to know if you guys wanted to attend."

"Sure." Jamie said.

"Tyler?"

"Yeah sure Jayson that would be fine."

Never once questioned why I was asked or why Jamie didn't say anything,  I packed my gear and headed home.

My sisters were at my house and lounging around the pool. And being the brother I am, I cooked dinner for those two.

Several days went by, and Jayson told us the details of this little gathering of his. 

And apparently, some of the other teammates were gonna be there too. As I arrived at the address he gave me, it really didn't look at all like his house.  But I got out of my car and entered through the side gate like instructed.

I saw Matt and his wife, Jayson and his wife, some of the guys from the team, along with Jamie. Stopping by, I said hi to everyone there. I had Cass and Candice with me as they were also invited by Jayson.

"Glad you three could make it." Jayson said as he bro hugged me, then hugged my sisters.

"Thanks for having us, Jayson. " Both Cass and Candice said.

The four of us talked for a while, and I eventually left to find the restroom.

But that was short-lived when I bumped into a beautiful brunette. "Sorry, that was my fault. " I said. But then this beauty turned around, and my breath caught in my throat. After all these years , she stood before me.

"It's ok. " She said but didn't really pay attention until she looked up at me.
"Hi, Tyler."

Just two simple words, and I was literally brought down to my knees. All I could do was look up at her.

"Tyler, get up."

After a few minutes, I stood and just looked at her.  "God, you're so beautiful."

She blushed. Actually blushed.  She still stood in front of me, and it was like I couldn't  breathe.  Nothing around me mattered anymore.  Not this party, hockey, family, or even friends.  The only thing that mattered was her.  And I would lay my life and career down for her.