5.5 - Weekend

The first week of classes has finally concluded in Youkai Academy, with its student body looking forward to the weekends to spend some time off, its faculty preparing schoolwork for their respective classes, and the Hunter had been summoned by the Headmaster to his office.

"How has the first week treated you?" The Headmaster asked. "I trust that you've been busy."

"Asides from the eventful first few days, the week has gone smoothly." The Hunter responded. "But is there a reason for your summon?"

"Straight to the point aren't you?" The Headmaster replied with a slight chuckle. "I've called you here to discuss your salary."

"Is there a need?" The Hunter responded again. "The contract stated I am to be paid ¥500,000 ($3800 USD) monthly with weekly increments."

"Oh but of course, I have other things to speak to you about. Normally it would be sent to your bank account. But for you, I've decided for today to pay you in person." The Headmaster stated, handing over a closed envelope to the Hunter.

The Hunter opened the envelope to see a bundle of notes, counting a total of ¥125,000, true to form totaling a quarter of the mentioned ¥500,000.

"Since you're a stranger to this country." The Headmaster continued. "I believe you may need some assistance knowing the value of the money."

A reasonable explanation, the Hunter concluded. Even though he himself doubted he would have much usage for his salary, it would still prove beneficial to understand the potential usages. "You have thought ahead Headmaster, perhaps an example may allow me to understand the currency's worth."

"The monthly cost of living for a single person living within a large city area is ¥150,000 ($1,155 USD), accounting for paying for food, utilities and the like. Renting a single bedroom apartment monthly in said city also roughly costs the same."

"In other words, a total monthly cost of ¥300,000 for an individual. Then I have one question I must ask, since the contract also states each faculty member is provided an assigned dormitory apartment for no additional cost, along with provided meals and utilities, that would invalidate a large majority of the total cost. Is there reason for this many benefits to be given to faculty?"

A subtle chuckle came from the Headmaster, pointing at the Hunter's neck which Kurumu had caused to bleed on accident earlier. "Haven't you experienced it for yourself? Being a teacher for this academy can be quite dangerous, rowdy students disregarding the no transformation rule and being a danger to others. Although in this case, it should be the students who must be wary."

It certainly was a dangerous occupation to be an educator in this academy, the Hunter's experience with both Saizou Komiya and Kurumu in the first two days were already evident of the danger which entailed, the high benefits along with the salary was understandable with this context in mind. "I give my thanks Headmaster, that is all I must ask for now. Unless you decide now to disclose the reason I am here of course."

"That will still come another day." The Headmaster stated with an amused chuckle, handing over a note. "For now, I recommend a visit to this location so you may find your bearings."

______________

The weekends has arrived, and the Hunter found himself alone within his dormitory residence. Since it was only the first week of the school year, there was little in regards to responsibilities expected from the Hunter for his role as an educator. It was merely introductory classes for the first week, and therefore little in regards to assignments in need for grading. Meaning the Hunter had two days worth of time for himself which he had no clue how to spend it.