8.5 - Absence

It was becoming increasingly obvious for Moka that in the following week after that incident, that Syn-sensei had a sudden shift in his demeanor, having begun to keep to himself more frequently than usual. Because after the events of that day, where Syn-sensei had almost killed Yukari's Class President and brutally maimed his two friends, Syn-sensei slowly begun to keep to himself more than necessary. No... it was more accurate to say that Syn-sensei became distant to everyone.

Yukari, who had joined the Newspaper Club after the incident after contemplating between her choices between the Literature Club to be with Kyoka, or the Newspaper Club to be with Moka. Yukari herself had told Moka in passing that Syn-sensei would not even glance at her, going as far as to even avert his attention away from her. Even though their interactions had been quite positive until that day, almost as if he held guilt of the unexpected side of him that he had shown to them, despite it having meant that he saved Yukari from Tadashi. It couldn't be denied that had Syn-sensei not intervened, then Yukari would've died instead.

At least there was also good news out of the whole ordeal, Tadashi and his two friends had all been expelled from Youkai Academy, so they can't ever try to kill Yukari again. And the interactions between Yukari and Tsukune had been somewhat less hostile since that day thanks to Moka defusing any potential conflicts and Yukari's acknowledgement of her immaturity at the time.

Although because of the expulsion, the rumours surrounding Syn-sensei had begun to escalate exponentially around Youkai Academy. Moka had been already aware the rumours surrounding Syn-sensei had mostly been untrue, but it seemed to have escalated because of the aforementioned expulsion. Because it was well known among the junior year level that Tadashi and his friends hated Yukari, and that Yukari was close with Syn-sensei, who already had built a reputation of dealing with problem students ever since what happened with Saizou. Moka only wished that there was a way to minimize these rumours, yet there was little options she could think of which could mitigate those rumours without it sounding like hearsay without evidence.

But that wasn't important right now for Moka.

Because Syn-sensei also now looked like he was beginning to show signs of insomnia, yet Moka would notice the rapid glances Syn-sensei would occasionally send out at her classmates, as if he was examining them with a thirst in his eye like a predator eyeing vulnerable prey, including her, yet these glances would immediately subside just as fast. His teaching proficiency was still unmatched regardless, but for the sudden change in demeanor to happen after that day did not go unnoticed by those who had been there.

'Not again...?' Moka thought, these words Syn-sensei that had muttered repeatedly still echoed in Moka's mind while she interpreted for him.

Did something happen to Syn-sensei before he came here to teach to make him react so excessively then?

So Moka could not help but to question what she didn't know. Admittedly, she didn't know much about Syn-sensei, and there wasn't much reason for her to since he was a teacher, and had the impression of preferring to keep to himself (although at the moment he was excessively keeping his distance). Moka still recalling him telling her on the very first day of class that his sudden enlistment as staff was a spontaneous decision by the Headmaster, leaving his history beforehand a total mystery. But what Moka does know on the other hand, is that whatever it was had deeply affected Syn-sensei if it still affected him now.

Moka could still vividly remember how much in a state of panic Syn-sensei had fallen into, of how frantic he appeared when he saved Yukari from being eaten alive by Tadashi. She did not regret her impulsive decision to make Tsukune remove her Rosary the moment he arrived at the scene that day, because it was clear to Moka that Syn-sensei had not been himself, and that had he not stopped, she felt that he would've been in a much more worse state than now.