THE RIVAL

The rest of the pack and I stand frozen in the shadow of a huge, blood-drenched stranger. His vicious eyes trained on me.

“Your father told me I would find you here. Time to go Arabella.” He takes a step towards me making me step back nearly running into Beau.

“Damon. Shit. He found us.” Beau grumbles.

“Damon!?” 

“He’s Raphael’s Beta. His right hand man and he’s ruthless as his Alpha.” Everett whispers in my ear clutching Koda close to him.

Damon is deep in the house now circling me like a prey causing me to back up the stairs.

“You are a delicious little thing aren’t you? Your father was right to make you my mate.”

“I am not going anywhere with you.” I seethe only to be awarded with a low sarcastic laugh boiling out from Damon’s blood-stained mouth.

“I’m afraid it’s not exactly up to you. You’re mine.”

“But Arabella is Caden’s true mate!” Koda comes to my defense much to my dismay. Everett clasps a hand over Koda’s mouth but it’s too late as Damon chuckles, crouching down to Koda’s level. He’s a sweet little boy and I like him a lot. I don’t want him to get hurt because of me.

“Yeah, we all felt that little soul bond the other night, didn’t we boy? But that doesn’t matter.”

In a flash, Damon is behind me. He locks my arms in a death grip.

“Once I claim her and breed her, their little bond will mean nothing.” He says sniffing my neck making my gut twist with revulsion.

“Ugh…go to hell you ruthless monster.” I spit out in disgust.

“You don’t know the meaning of hell yet woman. But I’ll show you what it’s like.” He says leaning into me but someone hits him from the side, knocking me out of his grasp.

“That’s no way to talk to a lady now is it? I believe she said no. You have no right to claim her.” Juno lunges towards him but Damon throws her off like a suck of feathers launching her body 20 feet only to smack her hard into the wall.

“Juno!” I gasp.

“Now, then…” Damon rushes towards me, shoving me into the window. My head wacks the glass with a loud crack. Without thinking I twist and throw a roundhouse kick. My foot lands on his crotch but it barely moves him.

“Is that all you’ve got for me princess? How disappointing.” He fakes pouty lips.

My vision blurs as dozen of enemy wolves rush in, forcing the rest of the pack to surrender.

“C’mon. You can give me a little more.” He leans in close enough that I can smell his foul, metallic breath.

“What the hell is going on here?”  Caden’s dominant voice booms.

A wave of relief washes over me when I see Caden in the entryway, tall and furious.

“Caden…save the others!” I groan in pain. When he catches my gaze, his eyes flash gold with intense rage. For a moment, time slows and I feel it again: that heat, that unmistakable pull towards Caden.

“Well, well, well. Look who it is. The little stray pup.” Damon disses eliciting a low and threatening growl from Caden as he takes a step forward.

“Let go of my mate.” He dangerously demands.

“Your mate? Oh, no, no, no.” Damon grins as his grip tightens on me making me wince in pain.

“I said let go of her!!!” I can literally feel the anger radiating from him. His voice is louder and more violent than I’ve ever heard it as he sprints towards me but two massive rival wolves slam him to the ground, restraining him.