STRONGER TOGETHER

“Would you marry me?” There’s a solidness to Caden’s voice. A certainty to his stance and gaze as I stare at him in shock.

“What?" 

“It’s the only thing that could make us stronger. The one thing that could bring us to our peak.”

“Caden. That's a big step.”

“It is” A beat of silence passes between us as he stares down at me sharply in the dark.

“And what happens if I say no? Do you plan on forcing me to marry you if I refuse? Like Damon? Like my father?” He meets my gaze head on.

“What do you think?”

“I think I really don’t know.” He frowns pensively at my response.

“I hoped by now you’d know me better than that.” He gently takes my hand in his. I feel the callouses, the years of hard work on them, but I also feel the warmth, the safety. 

“Arabella, I would never force you into something like that. Never.” His conviction almost unsteading me. Almost. And most importantly, why is my heart racing? We’re doing this for the pack. It’s not that he’s proposing because he loves me. Right?

“That said. Would marrying me really be that terrible?” He says it teasingly, but there’s an uncertainty behind his words, vulnerability.

Unable to stop myself, I reach up, tracing my fingers along his perfectly sculpted face. The feeling lingers in the air that whatever I say to Caden here and now, he’ll take it to heart.

“Arabella?”

“Caden, I could see myself marrying you.” He stares at me in muted shock.

“You would?”

“Yes. You’re kind, a good leader, a good friend. You’re just good, Caden.” His eyes glint with affection, his mouth parts in awe. “Is that hard to believe?”

“No. It’s not that.” His smile is infectious, and I can’t help but return it. “It just feels good to be true that’s all.”

“Caden, It can’t feel that good. I come with a lot of baggage you know.”

“So do I. Maybe that means we’re perfect for each other.”

“Maybe.”

“Arabella…” My heart races at his words, at his smouldering gaze, at the bond thrumming between us. 

“You’d be my wife? My mate in body and soul? You’d be mine forever?” Breathless, I nod.

“Yes.”

“Then…” He steps forward, cupping my chin and leaning my face up to meet his expression. “Would you like me to show you what you could look forward to?” He kisses me, his lips meeting mine as his hands move to my waist. My pulse pounds in my ears, my breath quickens as he sweeps me off my feet.

Moaning into his mouth, I snake my arms around his neck, pulling him close until we are chest to chest. He smirks into the kiss, pulling me impossibly close, drawing me into his warmth, his intoxicating scent.

“Arabella..” His teeth score my lower lip, drawing it in as his tongue moves out to drag along the edge. I feel his tongue swirl against mine, merging with mine to give way to something incredible. I can feel promises of things to come, a future with Caden by my side and somehow, despite the fact that I feel like it should, none of it scares me. Maybe I’m meant for this life after all.

“Whatever you decide, it’s all going to work out. You’ll see.” Caden pulls back, still wearing that sinful grin. He reaches for me, tilting my chin up to face him. “Just being around you makes me stronger.”