MY POWERS

ARABELLA'S P.O.V

“You’re shifting, Arabella.” Caden says as I curl in on myself, insides boil like magma.

“W-what? How is this possible-ah!” Damon slowly picks himself up off the floor, but I feel dizzy and flushed, my pulse pounding and my eyes flashing green.

“Arabella, what’s going on?”

I want to reach for Sarah, to explain, but I can’t. The pain is almost unbearable.

“Caden…it hurts. I’m burning!”

“Just focus, Arabella. The pain will go away soon.”

I grit my teeth, doubling over again. I catch Caden watching me in panic and awe.

“Arabella.” Caden’s voice is laced with a mixture of pride, excitement, panic and dare I say love.

“You bitch…” Damon’s voice is like snake venom as he begins to advance on me, slow and deliberate as fury rolls off him in waves but he stops short as I scream, the pain ripping through me and tearing me apart from the inside. I fall forward but I don’t hit the ground with hands and knees. Instead, I stare at paws beneath me, I feel my sleek fur, I run my tongue over sharp fangs…as I stare at the ground, at my own paws, I see white fur, soft and pure as snow. I try to stabilize myself, shock coiling through me like vines.

I’m a wolf…

“Impossible…this shouldn’t be happening.” Damon seethes.

“Arabella…” Caden softly calls out.

Time seems to stop as I feel all the surrounding nature as if it’s an extension of myself. I stand tall, a full, regal, complete wolf. All of my senses are heightened, overwhelming and powerful. I sniff and move through the room, hyper-aware of the earth beneath me, the trees outside, the plants in the window. The earth makes me powerful, like moths to flames, leaves and soil suddenly rush across the floor and travel up into my veins, I grow in size.

“How?” Damon is still reeling in my transformation.

Now energized, I give in to my instincts, snarling and lunging for Damon.

“You little…” He bends his head, his eyes glowing bright as his skin ripples like boiling water.

“Fine. Two can play this game, my little mate.” He too shifts into a black and grey snarling wolf with glowing red eyes, baring his teeth.

“Hey!” Sarah suddenly steps in front of me, glaring at the wolf.

“Stay away from my friend.”

This is not the time to play my protector Sarah, it’s the other way around.

I want to yell for her to get out of here. That he’s too strong for her, but when I try to speak, nothing comes out but a pained growl. Damon snaps his teeth, baring glinting sharp fangs as he stalks towards Sarah.

“Arabella, move!” Caden’s words shake me and I spring into action, rushing and crashing into Damon before he can reach Sarah. Damon’s clawed paw kicks me hard that I lose my footing and I slide across the dojo floor. Not getting enough, he straightens and starts advancing on Sarah again.

Everything is so different. I can’t protect Sarah. I don’t know what to do. I don’t—

“Arabella…listen to me.” It’s only then that I notice it. The bond with Caden. It’s usual hum heightens to a pulsating tie between us. I feel Caden inside me, reaching me through the chaos.

“You have to listen to me, Arabella.” His words ring like a primal truth, roaring inside me.

Sarah is backed against the wall now, and Damon is a feet away from her, saliva dripping from his jaws.