FALLING FOR ME

“Arabella!” I look up in horror as a huge boulder crashes down the mountain heading straight for me. When it is inches away, Caden smashes into my side, hauling my out of the boulder’s deadly path.

“That was close.”

“No kidding.” Suddenly, the ground shifts beneath my feet and gives way. We both stumble and plummet straight for the ground.

“Shit.” I stifle a scream as Caden curses and he wraps his arms around me. He twists and hits the ground first, absorbing the impact.

“Th…thank…”

“Move!” He throws me off just as another enormous boulder crashes down, landing directly on top of him.

“Caden!” I stumble back to him, but stop short. Half of his body is pinned beneath the impossibly large rock.

“Oh, God.”

Caden howls in pain, straggling beneath the incredible weight of the boulder.

“Caden you idiot. Why did you do that?”

“Why do you think?”

“You…you saved my life.”

“Yeah, well…don’t say I never did anything for you, omega.” Caden takes a long, shuddering breath as I try to find a way to help him.

“The others. Maybe they can help us.” I shout for help, but there is no response on the cliff above or in the dense forest beyond.

“The rockslide probably took out the path. We’re separated.” Using his free hand, he shoves at the boulder, his face twisted in pain. I see the rock shift a small amount before he hisses, jerking back.

“Caden, you can’t move that on your own.”

“Way to kick a guy when he’s down.” I huff and shake my head. I’ll have to move it myself.

I place my hands on the boulder, shoving all of my weight against it. Nothing. I try again and again, using my shoulder, running into it, using all I’ve got. But it won’t budge.

“Oh, come on.” I scream in frustration as panic begins to overtake me. I shove at it again but to no avail.

“I can’t move it. I…I don’t know what to do. I…”

“Arabella, stop.” Caden’s calm voice makes me whip around to face him, my heart hammering in my chest.

“What do you mean stop? How the hell do you expect me to move this thing if I stop?” For a long moment, Caden watches me, his expression unreadable as he lets the quietness of the forest overtake the both of us.

“Kiss me.” For a long moment, I forget to breath. I can hardly believe my ears.

“That’s by far your worst pickup line.”

“For the last time, it’s not a line.” He gives me a brief, pained smile.

“We’re true mates, Arabella. Remember?” I nod slowly, recalling what he said about power and strength before. It all happened when we touched.

“It happened when we touched. Okay, so I’ll just grab my hand and…”

“Not just any touch. Intimate touch. The more intimate we are…”

The stronger he becomes.

My heart pounds in my chest as heat creeps up my face.

“You’re saying if I kiss you…it will make you more powerful?”

“You don’t believe me?” He laughs, but winces against the painful weight of the rock.

“Arabella, please. We have to try.”