ONE OF US

ARABELLA'S P.O.V

“The pack is under attack. We need to move. Now!”

“Will we get there in time? It’s not exactly right around the corner. We might get there and…”

“All the more reason to leave now. Now, let’s go. We can’t waste anymore time.” Caden takes my hand, and we rush as fast as we can back to the pack house.

The entry hall to Caden’s estate is a scene of chaos and carnage. A handful of wolves lay brutally wounded at the base of the main stairs, liquid crimson pooling beneath them.

“My God…”

“So kind of you to join us, Arabella.” Damon says, standing at the top of the stairs, leering down at me. “I started the party without you. Hope you don’t mind.” Raising his fist, I see he’s clutching someone by the hair.

Juno.

It’s clear from the numerous wounds dotting her body that she’s on her last legs.

“Damon, let Juno go. Right now!” I seeth.

“But we’re just getting started. You’re no fun.”

“Let her go or so help me God.”

“And let her miss out on all I have planned? I don’t think so.”

“Shut up and fight me, Damon.” Even wounded, Juno does her best to land a blow on Damon.

“Want to get right to it I see. Fine. Have it your way warrior princess.” Damon moves with blistering speed, meeting Juno’s charge half way, hitting her hard in the side. A sickening crack sounds out as Juno drops to the ground.

“Juno!”

“You fucking bastard!” Caden says charging forward but two wolves jump in to block his path.

Snarling, Caden fights to get past the two wolves holding him down but he isn’t capable.

“Oh, I’m going to enjoy this.” Damon slams Juno up against the window, cracking the glass in the process with the force of his thrust.

“Arabella…” I can see the silent plea for help in Juno’s voice as she struggles under Damon’s firm grip. Damon then raises a hand, grasping a broken shard of glass.

“No! Juno!” Caden shouts.

I have lived my whole life feeling like I don’t fit in and now that I found the missing puzzle in my life. Now that I have found my family, I will not let anything take that away from me again. With anger, I charge forward letting my rage and adrenaline take hold before giving over to them entirely. My skin ripples, my bones crack with an excruciating pain as I shift in a brilliant display of fur and fangs as I slam into Damon full force.

With a mighty snap of my jaw, I dig my fangs into Damon’s shoulder, tasting blood as I break his skin. He groans in pain as he drops Juno. Juno scrambles to her feet, moving forward to help me.

‘No! Get out of here. You’re no help injured’ While I can’t speak the words in this form, the flash of determination in my lupine eyes says it all.

“Fine, but if things change, I’m coming back for you. Thanks, Arabella.” 

Soon after Juno runs away from the scene, with a burst of strength, Damon throws me backwards, rising to his feet with a hideous snarl.

“Not a bad hit, girlie. Maybe you’ll prove yourself a good match for me yet.” I shift back meeting Damon’s furious glare.

“Not if I tear you apart first.” I counter and before I can say anything else, another cry of pain echoes through the entry hall.