THE TRUTH

ARABELLA'S P.O.V

After years, I’ve discovered that my cryptic, nightmarish dreams are really repressed memories. And Caden is in those memories.

“I did know you when we were kids, Arabella. I took you away from that place. From your father.” Even in the freezing rain, Caden’s eyes burn into mine. He pulls me closer, rain clinging to his hair his full mouth…

“And you kept this from me? Honestly, I don’t what to believe anymore.”

“To protect you. Like I always have. I saved your life, and I’d do it again. Consequences be damned.”

“But why? Why did you do it? Why did you---” Instead of answering, Caden takes my face in his hands and he kisses me.

The rain beating down, the pain, the confusion, it all disappears beneath his lips. He holds me fast, his kiss passionate and all-consuming. A kiss like I’ve never experienced before. I push against his chest, creating space. If he thinks this issue is gonna be swept under the rug by a tantalizing kiss, he’s barking the wrong tree.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have done that.”

“No, I’m sorry. I just can’t do this.”

“I see.”

“I mean I want to. But I just don’t know what to believe.”

“Believe this.” Caden gently raises my chin so I meet his eyes. Even through the storm, they are steady.

“Everything I’ve done has been for you, Arabella.” I stare at him, unblinking, through sheets of rain. I can tell he’s telling the truth. I lean in again, my eyes flicking to his lips…but a massive crack of lightning flashes, making the both of us both jump.

“Come on.” Caden takes my hand and leads me back into the dojo, just as the worst of the storm passes overhead. As soon as the door is shut, Caden looks down at my hand in his.

“You’re trembling.”

“I can’t believe you’re NOT shaking.” A small laugh escapes him as he caresses my cheek. When he feels my skin, he grows serious.

“Arabella, you’re freezing.” I shudder, feeling my drenched clothes cling to my skin.

“We need to get these off of you.”

“We?”

“A little help never hurt anyone.” Caden finds a stack of towels next to the water cooler. He pulls a fluffy, dry one from the pile. He moves closer to me, taking the hem of my shirt, tugging it up to expose an inch of skin.

“Caden--”

“Shh.” Carefully, Caden drags the towel over my midriff, followed by a shower of tingling goose bumps.

“I’ll warm you up.” The heat from his chest is nearly irresistible as he moves the towel higher, pulling my clothes along with it. As he drags the towel over the sliver of my exposed flesh, he dips down and kisses me there.

“Come here.”

“Okay.” And that’s all the word is all he needs.

Inch after inch, Caden peels the soaked fabric from my body, dragging the towel gently over my navel, my ribcage. With each stroke of the towel, he follows with a kiss. His lips leave a splash of warmth wherever they go.

“Better?”

“Yeah.” He pulls my shirt higher, over my bra, working the towel to dry every drop from my cleavage. I feel his hot breath on my skin as he works. I can feel the soft brush of his hair.