FAMILY REUNION

“Ah, Arabella. It’s so good to see you.” I stare at the man talking, my heart hammering in my ears, as he opens his arms with an unnaturally wide smile.

This is my father. The Alpha everyone fears. The Alpha who skinned Juno’s brother. The Alpha who killed Caden’s parents. I can feel Caden beside me, fury pouring off of him in blistering waves.

“My goodness, Arabella.” Raphael leans in through the bars. I want to step back but I’m pinned by his black stare. “You’ve grown into quite the beauty, haven’t you?”

“That’s ridiculously superficial don’t you think?” I retort.

“Superficial? Not in your case. It’s important to be pretty. Especially when your purpose in life is to be a breedmate for my next in line.” He gestures at Damon, who licks his lips at me. It turns my stomach.

“I’ll kill you before you touch her, bastard.” Caden snarls, rising to his full height against the bars, nose to nose with Raphael.

“It’s nice to see you, too. Caden. I see you still haven’t grown into that big mouth of yours.”

“Open this cage and I’ll show you just how much I’ve grown, Raphael.”

“I’ll kill you myself before I marry that creep.” A low threatening laugh spills out of Raphael’s mouth at my confession.

“Full of fire. You get that from me.”

“You don’t know anything about me.”

“No? Well, we best get reacquainted then." With a lazy flick of Raphael’s wrist, Damon opens the cage and grabs my arm.

“Come here.”

“Get your hands off of her!” Caden lunges for Damon, his eyes bright gold.

“Down boy.” Raphael commands. The words barely above a whisper, like an afterthought. But they pull Caden to the ground like iron chains.

“Caden!” I can’t believe my eyes. Caden’s whole body shakes against Raphael’s Alpha command, but he can’t resist it. His muscles bulge, his teeth grinding as he tries to pull himself up. When he gains half an inch, Raphael snickers.

“I said down.” With Raphael’s words, Caden’s hands and knees slam into the ground with a sickening crunch as he swears.

“Raphael. You’re hurting him!”

“That’s the idea. We’re teaching this boy a lesson.” On his final word, Raphael twists his hand into a fist and Caden roars, his body contouring horribly as though he’s being tortured.

“Stop! Stop it now!” I cry out.

“It can all stop if you come willingly.”

“Arabella…you don’t…have to…” Caden struggles to form a sentence.

“I just want to talk, Arabella. Don’t make this harder than it needs to be.” Raphael flicks in his wrist again. Caden flips over on his back and screams in pain, his back arches in pain.

“Fine. I’ll go willingly. Just, stop hurting him. Please.” My words reverberate around the cold cell with strength enough to turn Raphael’s attention away from Caden. He drops his hand and Caden suddenly goes limp on the floor.

“I knew you’d see reason.” 

“Arabella…please…” Caden struggles to his knees, every part of him throbbing from the pain he just endured. He has gone through a lot of pain to save me, this is the least I can do for him.

“It’s okay Caden.” I assure him as Damon roughly tugs at my arm and I rip it from his grasp, my chin held high.

“I will walk on my own, thank you.” I bite out.