A WHOLE NEW WORLD

CADEN'S P.O.V

“I’m shifting.” I can feel my wolf clawing in my body. He wants out and I’m afraid I can’t control it. I guess having marked Arabella released a surge of power I’ve never experienced before; I can’t imagine when we’re finally mated.

“Caden, you can fight it!”

“I can’t. It’s too strong.”

“Just hold on a little longer.” I hear Arabella call out as I sprint away down the street. My body is twitching and growing, it’s not safe to be near this many people. “Caden, wait!” 

“Get back…all of you.” My voice comes out in a guttural growl now, barely restrained by my willpower alone. I inwardly curse when I realized that my Alpha command doesn’t work on humans. Just then, Arabella darts between me and the group of people around me, shielding both sides with her tiny body.

“Get back…applies to you too. I don’t want to hurt you.” It’s funny how I make her out to be a damsel in distress given the fact she already shifted and she way more powerful than she thinks she is but it’s my duty as her mate to protect her from harm’s way. Even from me.

“I can take it. They can’t.” She says. Out of the corner of my eye, I spot one of the stragglers still standing around stepping closer towards us.

 “Is everything all right? If there’s any way I can help…” I couldn’t stop my growls when the stranger came near Arabella. It’s always normal for a wolf to act primal when we see another man near our mate.

 “Those eyes of his don’t look right.” The man places a friendly hand on Arabella’s shoulder. “If you want me to call a doctor, I…” Before the man can finish speaking, I lunge towards him in matter of seconds. With feral strength I never knew I had, I hoist the man by the collar and slam him up against a nearby wall making him groan in pain.

“Don’t. Touch. My. Mate.” I growl at the stranger in my hold. The crowd around us begins to close in now, a few taking out cell phones to record the interaction but I could care less at this point.

“She’s mine. I won’t allow anyone to touch her.” I can feel my eyes glow brighter, my grip on the man tightening to the point he’s turning purple. 

“Caden…” I loosen my grip just little bit when Arabella slowly approaches me step by step until we’re chest to chest. The warmth between us flaring like a beacon. My eyes snap to her, wild and enraged.

“You have to calm down, Caden. Okay?” She ever so gently flattens her palm against my chest and over my heart. “I’m right here, Caden. Nothing happened to me.”

“You…you are.” I struggle to say.

“I’m right here. I’m fine.” She says. I lower my head to her shoulder, breathing slowing, letting her intoxicating scent calm me. I let my weight fall onto her, not all of it because I could crush her. My grip on the man who dared to touch my mate still tight. Just thinking of it has my wolf letting out low growls. 

“Say you’re mine, Arabella.” It’s not just for me, my wolf needs to hear it to keep itself intact.

“Caden, I--” She begins but some sick fuck shouts out.

Before I could lunge for the guy, Arabella quickly put her delicate hands on each side of my face, running her fingers over my  jaw, forcing me to look at her. 

“What are you…?” Before I can get a chance to react, she presses her plump lips against mine in an urgent kiss. My reaction couldn’t be more instinctive as my fingernails extended into claws, gripping onto her for dear life.