XIAO. i like you more this way

author's note. hi guys, i'm sorry for not updating for quite some time. life happens and it sucks more when you're in the middle of your class and it was your exams. but hey, i've decided to work that specific person's request. thank you for being patient with me!

reminder. gender neutral reader. abandoned reader. fluff!

YOUR LIPS GRINNED, but you were sure that he didn't notice it

YOUR LIPS GRINNED, but you were sure that he didn't notice it. How could he notice it when your face was hiding beneath his mask?

"You're wearing my mask again," Xiao's voice was softer than when you first met him. He's staring at you as if he's trying to decipher your expression underneath his mask.

"It's not yours, it's mine." You rolled your eyes, didn't bother to remove your mask on your face.

"The idea of the mask is mine, mortal," there he was again, using his signature name for you. Xiao scoffed, yet he never removed his eyes on you.

There was something in his eyes sparkling at the sight of you. The people may consider him as an Adeptus who hated communicating with humans or a human near his presence. Yet you're here, talking to him as if he wasn't an Adeptus.

You're different, after all. Perhaps, pushing yourself in his presence (even though he may or may not like your presence), made himself quit from pushing you out of his life (he can't leave too because he would be lying if he didn't enjoy having you around).

"That's because your fans adored you and created a mask so that everyone will know the Conqueror of Demons." You chuckled, finally moving your mask away from your face.

His eyes were glued to you, and you can see his eyes lit up after showing an expression. Xiao was so used to your noise but he still found himself fond of your laughs. He found them adorable and pretty.

Yet Xiao looked away.

"Don't worry. I'm a fan of the Conqueror of Demons too, that's why I made sure to work hard so that I'll get enough money to buy your mask too, Xiao." Your lips curved into a sweet smile.

Your mind flashed back at the time where Xiao first saved you after you were left somewhere on the road. It was a terrifying memory, and you had nothing with you but yourself.

It didn't take long when you found out that numerous hilichurls were going after you. You were helpless. You never had a vision once in your life. The feeling of death was near, and you couldn't help but give up, letting them conquer you mercilessly.

Of course, it wouldn't be a surprise that you were saved by Xiao after all. It was around the Guili plains, and he could see you helplessly crying for help. He stopped them before they even touched you. Your little you was mesmerized, and you wanted to express your gratitude to him.

"This was where I saw you on that day," You remembered him taking you to the top of the Wangshu Inn — allowing you to see the wonderful view of Guili Plains. "You were there," he pointed to your north, "Far from there, actually."

Your eyes widened, surprised. "You saw me there? I know where you are pointing to — because I was there — but how did you manage to see me from here?"

"It was your cries," he answered, staring where you were. "It was a painful cry. A cry I've heard familiarly before."

That was the time where you got so interested to be with Xiao more. You were glad that he found you, and he continued to rescue you at the times where you needed him the most (even if you're far from the Guili Plains). You were amazed at the fate where you had decided to stay in the Wangshu Inn, finding the Adeptus Xiao you were looking for.

"Are you okay?" Xiao asked with worriedness in his tone. "You've spaced out."

You shook your head. "Nothing much. I just remembered how time flies."

His eyebrows furrowed at your comment, yet he suddenly knew what you were talking about.

"Come here," he demanded, gesturing to you to come beside him. You followed without second thoughts, yet you're admittedly confused.

You sat beside him, awaiting what he would do.

"Why?" Your eyes met his deep amber orbs.

He suddenly averted his gaze. He must have been waiting for something, and he was flustered to admit it. You skimmed at him, looking suspiciously as you were somehow aware of his actions.

"Um," Xiao paused. "Do you.."

He stopped. It was embarrassing to suddenly tell it, truthfully. However, you knew he wanted to do something. You had been with Xiao for years, and you knew how to handle him already.

You laughed. "If you wanted to comfort me, you can just hugged me already,"

His plump cheeks reddened at your remark. This proved that your assumptions were correct. However, you didn't expect him to suddenly feel his arms wrapped around you (because it was you who usually moves after you bluntly confessed what he wanted to confess).

Your lips cheekily grinned at his gesture, accepting his hug as you wrapped your arms around his torso. "Aw Xiao, you're sweeter now, did you know that?"

He snorted at your tease, yet he didn't let it go.

"It's okay," you chuckled, hugging him tightly. "I like you more this way — just not used to it."

You felt his lips on the top of your head, catching you off guard. Your eyes expanded, glancing at him. "That was you kissing my head?"

Xiao didn't respond, but his sight remained on you. His eyes softened, enjoying the sight hugging you under him. His heart continued to race, adoring your face.

"Yup," you giggled. "I like you more this way."

author's note

author's note. thank you guys so
much for almost a 50k readers. you
guys are a lot!

to be honest, i don't really bloom
much more than the rest. sometimes
i flop more than i receive the amount
of viewers, yet at the same time. YOU GUYS
ARE A LOT! i'm still grateful for everyone
of you!!

i hope i'll be writing another one
and posting them much more soon! i'm
sorry if this is not good as the rest ;(

thank you <3 i love each one of you