Chapter 10

Lord Farquaad took the first step into Duloc, his heart pounded in his chest. He was disguised as a older, shorter, and less-great man. His pride and dignity had to be thrown out for this. He found this disguise humiliating.

Snuffles followed him, disguised as a fat magic potato. Despite Farquaad's humiliation, he was glad to have his ̶c̶r̶u̶s̶h̶- his ̶f̶r̶i̶e̶n̶d̶ his former enemy with him, he felt at ease.

It was strange, he expected to feel...he didn't know, he thought he should feel cautious, paranoid, yet he felt none of these. It was confusing.

As he walked to where the castle of Duloc resided, his skin got goosebumps in anticipation. His heart pounded, as he knocked on the castle door.

"GET OUT OF MY CASTLE" Farquaad flinched at the booming voice, his heart rate picked up and his breathing became fast. Before Farquaad could reply, Shrek (as ugly as ever) opened the door. "I'm only joking." He said, flashing a yellow smile at Farquaad.

"Right." Snuffle's said, placing a ̶c̶o̶m̶f̶o̶r̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ hand on Farquaad.

"How can we assist you both?" Princess Fiona asked, as she walked up next to Shrek.

"There is a foul and terrible creature ruining the forest! You must follow us at once." Farquaad said dramatically, his heart pounded in his ears. He hoped this worked.

"Oh how disturbing, surely we can send one of our knights...? Perhaps that new one?" Fiona suggested softly, looking at Shrek.

"That would be best." Shrek agreed.

"NO!" Snuffles coughed, "The creature said it wished to see the rulers of this land. You can bring a guard but I suggest only one. I don't want to see what happens if you bring more..." Snuffles shuddered, trying to be convincing.

Farquaad quickly nodded, "It was destroying those giant oak trees, we had to rush here before it killed us."

"Alright. I'll go fetch the new guard"

Fiona got the new guard, which by some insane coincidence was Rachel. She sent a suspicious glance to Farquaad and Snuffles, but agreed to go to the forest. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Snuffle's nod.

It was time.