chapter one: sal's

I rushed into Sal's, not at my usual time, but I needed a place to escape. I wasn't exactly in the mood to head back home to the three year old that was waiting for me. I moved quickly to my booth, the one right next to the bathroom that no one ever wanted to sit at. For the obvious reasons.

Grabbing on to the corner of the table, closing my eyes as I swung around and slid into the booth. I let out a breath, banging my head against the back of the booth, "Oh god." I said softly.

"Bad day?" I heard a voice say.

I peeked a single eye open and realized a man was sitting in front of me. He wore a purple hoodie, grey beanie pulled over what looked like unruly brown hair. I quickly closed my eye, squeezing both of them tight before opening them.

"Kinda. Um, sorry, I didn't realize you were sitting there. Usually people tend to avoid the booth by the place people handle their business." I shrugged, a slight smile on my face.

"Exactly why I'm sitting here, privacy." He smiled small, a British accent, dimples slightly appearing. He had stubble along his face, sea foam green eyes that matched the color of the booths at Sal's.

His face looked familiar, but I couldn't quite put a finger on it. I took a deep breath, leaning over to the side, seeing that the booth two over was free. I moved to leave, placing both hands on the table to help me stand, "I'll leave you to your privacy, sorry again."

He reached up and placed the back of his hand gently on my arm, "I can share the private booth. Seems like it was always yours first anyways." He smiled softly and I licked my lips a bit, before lowering my body back down.

"You sure?"

"Positive. Plus, you don't seem like the company that will bother too much." He said and I laughed a bit, getting comfortable in the booth again.

"That's me, not much of a bother. I'm Madeline by the way." I said, reaching my hand out to him.

"Harry, nice to meet you." He smiled, taking my hand and shaking it. All the loose ends connected in my head once he said his name.

"That's right, that's how I know your face. Harry Styles, right?" I said, whispering his name not wanting to bring attention to it.

He chuckled a bit, "That is me. Thanks for not announcing it to the whole diner."

"Like I said, it's the private corner, basically VIP." I nodded my head, pressing my lips together.

We both laughed and he reached up rubbing his chin. His fingers had ink markings along them, one or two rings on his fingers, "I heard VIP had the best malts."

"Mmm, they do, salted caramel, by far the best."

"Shall we get two then?" He raised an eyebrow I nodded, looking over at the breakfast bar, raising my hand until I got Sal's attention.

"You bet, with an order of fries, all on the house, I happen to know the chef." I smiled. It took him a few minutes, but soon Sal was at the table.

"Hi sweetie, only you would come in on your day off." He said as I stood up and hugged him. Sal had been in my life for as long as I can remember, and he forever stayed the same. Big beer belly, a full set of hair that he clearly dyed black, and a thick mustache. His face always red from cooking. When I was younger, my father and I would come here every Saturday after my softball games. Win or lose, we would drink a milkshake to celebrate. It was my first job when I was a teenager and well my only job since. Twenty five years old and still working at the job I got when I was fifteen.

That's a story for another time though.

"You know me, can't get enough of this place." I said sarcastically, as Sal analyzed my face.