chapter 23: for today.

I stood in my mom's room, I ran my hands over the pink silk dress, it hit at mid calf, the front a sweetheart shape at the top. I felt like a ballerina, my hair parted down the middle slicked back into a tight bun. I had triple pearl earrings on, and a simple gold necklace that hit perfectly on my collarbone. I took a deep breath, feeling someone tugging on my dress. I peeked to see Rosie, and I smiled, "What do you think babes? Will Harry like it?"

She put up her thinking finger to her chin and giggled, "Duuuuh."

I laughed and turned to pick her up. I brought my face close to hers, the tip of my nose on hers, "But you're still my best friend right?"

"Mhm, always momma. Mmm, momma, is Harry your boyfriend now?" She said, tracing my pearl earrings softly.

"No sweetie, but, I love him," I smiled a bit and she searched my eyes nodding.

"Like...how you love daddy once upon a time?" She said, her eyes a bit wide, and I bit my lip softly.

"Yes baby. I think so." I whispered.

"So, he's daddy now?" She said and I couldn't help but laugh.

"No, sweetie, your daddy will always be your daddy." I smiled small, and she puckered her lips like when she gets upset.

"But...mmm, down momma, please." She said and I nodded putting her down. I watched as she quickly ran out of the room, yelling for Harry who was across the way in the room we were sharing.

I chuckled and followed after her, making sure she wasn't creating havoc for the others in the hall. She began knocking on the door calling for him again, "Harrrry."

It took a few minutes, and I heard his soft run on the other side of the door just before it opened. He was wearing a dress shirt, only one cuff done up. He had no shoes on, his hair still slightly a mess. He peeked up at me, his eyes wide, "Maddy..."

"No, Rosie." We both heard her say, and he chuckled, looking down at her.

"Yes bug?"

"Can you be my dad?" She said, causing my eyes to widen. Harry peeked up at me, and I shrugged, completely unsure where this all came from. He knelt down to her level, and ruffled her curls softly.

"Bug, you already have a dad," he said softly and she shrugged.

"Macy have two dads. Her momma doesn't like the old one." She said and I brought my hand over my mouth, stifling my laugh. She was referring to Mrs. O'Brien's daughter from her daycare.

"Hmm, I see, okay, how about this, if you want to call me dad, that's fine, but only if you want too." He said gently, peeking up at me with a soft smile.

"Daddy number two!" She squealed and we both laugh. She moved quickly into his arms and he hugged her back, kissing the top of her head gently. He stood up, and fully took me in.

"You look amazing, Madeline. And I'm a mess." He chuckled and I blushed, laughing a bit.

"You were interrupted, I'm sure you'll get it all together just in time." I smiled.

"Excuse me! I told you to stay in the room Maddy!" We heard my mom call out down the hall. I turned to face her and laughed.

"Your granddaughter had other plans, right Posie?"

"Nana, Harry daddy number two." She grinned at my mom who raised a soft eyebrow, smiling small.

"Hmmm, I like the sound of that." She smiled, "But for now, in the room, please." She said, ushering me into the room, bending down to pick up Rosie.