chapter sixteen : the party

I watched Madeline from across the way as I sipped my beer. She looked so beautiful today. A flowery red summer dress, white shoes on her feet, her curls held back by a white ribbon, red on her lips. She looked so relaxed now that the party was in full swing. It was amazing how this town pulled out all the stops for Rosie. It was like something out of a movie.

The square was filled with two bounce houses, popcorn stands, cotton candy stands. Everyone I had gotten to know or passed by on my morning run was here. The whole town.

I had kept my distance, trying to keep Eric at peace so that nothing would ruin Rosie's day; but still helping when I was asked. Rosie would come up to me often, introducing me to her daycare teachers and friends. Every time she did, she kept going up to her dad right after and kissing his cheek. It was like she knew this was how to keep the peace.

It broke my heart in a way.

I leaned back on the picnic table, watching Maddy again and Mitch laughed. I suddenly remembered I wasn't sitting here alone, "You have it bad for her, Haz." He said taking a long swig of his beer.

"I do...I can't even fake it." I said running my hands through my hair, "I haven't cared for someone like this in a while, but I promised myself I wouldn't do this. And she doesn't want a relationship..."

"Yeah, that's what Sarah said. We think you're both just full of shit really." He shrugged and I laughed.

"It's a possibility." I drank my beer, wiping my lips with my thumb.

"So, we got an email from Jeff, you are ready to record?" He said raising an eyebrow at me, "I thought you wanted more time?"

I took a deep breath looking back over at Madeline, my eyes shifting to find Rosie. I smiled when I found her, looking down at my beer, "I can't keep staying here, falling for her...it's getting too complicated on my heart. I still want to maintain a relationship with her, but if it can't be romantic, I need to break away from them."

"But that doesn't mean you have to record already, Haz. Pauli and I told you, we are in for the long haul. We will be ready to do it again whenever you are." Mitch said and I looked over at him nodding.

"I know mate. I appreciate it....I'll just go insane if I'm not doing something. I haven't booked anything I've auditioned for. I can't just sit with my thoughts because she's taken over every bit of them. Her and Rosie." I said and he nodded. He opened his mouth to say something but we heard Sarah call us from where her and Maddy stood.

"Guys, presents come here." She waved us over, baby in her arm. I smiled at my best friend, she was the best mum, you just could see.

Mitch and I got up, and as we made it to Sarah, Greta came to stand by my side. I smiled and placed my arm around her shoulder as Rosie, Eric and Maddy stood behind the table where all the presents were set up.

One by one, Rosie began opening her gifts, showing them to everyone like it was a show and tell day at school. She said thank you without having to be told, and with Maddy and Eric, she worked her way through the gifts.

She was down to just a couple including mine, Eric reached over and handed her one, "Here kid, this one's from me."

She peeked at him and smiled, turning back to the bag. She threw the tissue paper up in the air, which Maddy quickly picked up and threw in a trash bag. Rosie reached in and pulled out a yellow sweater with a red lady bug in the middle. Her eyes got extra wide like they did when she was really excited, her nose bright red and she searched the crowd. I wondered who her eyes were looking for until they landed on me. She clapped with sweater in hand, then started pointing at it and yelled out at me, "Daddy look! Bug, bug!"