chapter three : a friend

Harry's POV

I sat with Rosie in the waiting room of the doctor's office. Madeline had gone in about ten minutes ago, assuring me it wouldn't be long.

I heard small sniffles coming from Rosie and when I turn to face her, she was pouting, small tears falling from her eyes.

I turned in my seat further, my finger on her cheek, "What's wrong sweetie?"

"Tired." She said looking at me and crying. They were quiet cries, her hand on her mouth like she knew she couldn't be loud here.

"Come here." I said, reaching my arms out to her. She stood on the chair and climbed over onto my lap, wrapping her tiny arms around my neck. I held her close, my entire hand as big as her little back, soothing her, "Sleep little bug, your mum will be out soon." She smelled of lavender and something else. Like a scent made just for little Rosie.

I whispered and kept soothing her, rocking softly until I could feel her fall asleep in my arms.

Madeline's POV

"Madeline, you can't keep missing these appointments. You know that cervical cancer runs in your family, it's important to keep these appointments." The doctor said as I sat up, crossing my legs at the ankles.

"I know Dr. Graham. I've just had a hard time with Rosie, but I'll be more consistent." I pressed my lips together and he nodded.

"Alright. Tell your mom hi for me, and I'll see you next year."

"I will." I said as he walked out, allowing me to get up and get dressed.

I took a deep breath rolling my shoulders back. I hated these appointments and the reminder of how much I pushed my health to the back burner. It was never intentional and I didn't place the blame on Eric, I placed it on myself for letting him walk all over me.

I grabbed my purse, throwing it over my shoulder and making my way out. I stopped at the desk, paying my copay and making my follow up appointment before heading to the main waiting area.

I opened the door and felt my heart skip at the sight of Harry with Rosie. He was holding her in his arms, her hands wrapped around his neck. He seemed to rest his head on her and I couldn't help but smile.

I walked over, trying to grab her from him and he shook his head, "Just grab the bags." He whispered and I nodded smiling as he stood up with her.

We made our way out into the parking lot to my car. He helped me get her in her car seat and I buckled her up, kissing her cheek softly. I closed the door leaning on it, my arms crossed on my chest, "Thank you, Harry. I don't think I could have gotten through that appointment without your help."

"It's no problem at all." He smiled, his dimples present. He was handsome, without even trying, and suddenly my moms words about my appearance raced through my memory. I didn't even want to know what I looked like right now.

"Um...do you want to come over for dinner? As a repayment for your help. I'm making grilled cheeses and tomato soup. It's her favorite and I haven't made it in a while." I said, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear.

"Sure. I just have to run home to deal with some things, but I'll swing by after?" He raised an eyebrow and I nodded.

"That sounds great. I'll text you the address then." I smiled.

"Sounds good, I'll see you later tonight."

I reached into the oven and pulled out the dish of roasting tomato, garlic and onion for the soup. I placed everything in the blender and began the finishing touches.