CHAPTER 6: "Coming Home..."

Two months after they have rescued Red, Dembe told Liz that A.D Cooper called to tell them that they were going to visit them. Things had been slow on the Post Office lately with no threats coming in and the Attorney General was rather pleased about the whole situation. Mr. Kaplan once told Dembe and Liz that there was a possible threat to the organization that needed Red's personal attention, they had no choice but to get a little lending hand from the FBI luckily the threat was gone soon enough. They had all been fond of Red, Dembe and Mr. Kaplan are his family and wanted to keep him safe. Now though, they were always in over-protection mode. His frailty was gut-wrenching. His haunting ethereal splendour was almost painful to witness, and it just brought the over-protectiveness of everyone around him; even the FBI was in constant over-protection mode. They just couldn't bear the thought that the Concierge of Crime couldn't protect himself and it concerned almost distressed all of them up to no end.

All hope was not lost, and a little strand of light from the shadows fell in the sweet form of progress. Raymond can sit alone in a room without rocking back and forth and humming. He just sat and hugged Red-dy to himself. Along the road, more and more he would make eye contact with them; instead of string at the middle of nowhere. He smiled at few times at Lizzie and once at Dembe and Mr. Kaplan. Red was like an older brother to Dembe and a son to Mr. Kaplan; the younger man shed a tear when he did and told Lizzie what happened; they wrapped each other in a tight embrace knowing that there was still hope. Mr. Kaplan would never tell any of them, but she too shed a tear when the older man gave her a small smile. He still didn't speak, but these triumphs may seem small and out of nothing to others, but to his family they were everything.

A little later that day the team came straight from D.C to Annapolis; Elizabeth had persuaded them to stay for the weekend, gladly they accepted, surprisingly even Cooper. They arrived in Annapolis just right before lunch. Liz was busy minding lunch while Dembe was busy with helping Red to shower. "Something smells good in here..." Mr. Kaplan said entering the kitchen and looking through the pots and pans on the stove; Lizzie gave her a smile, happy that she can please Raymond's stand-in mother. "It's Ray's favourite..." she said handing her a spoon "can you please taste this, see if it's to your liking..." Mr. Kaplan gave Elizabeth a small smile and took the spoon, and with a very pleased look she smiled even more so; "this is delicious Elizabeth...what's this for?" she asked; Lizzie gave her one of her thousand watt smiles enough to light up the whole house smile "it's for the Chicken parmesan, it goes really well with Dembe's lasagna..." Mr. Kaplan walked away from the stove and to the oven; "so that's the familiar smell, I was sensing..." and they both laughed; "Kate..." Liz said, finally she was able to say that after a few rounds of pursuing she finally caught on; "would you like some wine?" she asked the older woman; "yes dear that would be lovely..." as she was pouring the wine she doorbell rang "go ahead dear, and I'll mind the cooking here..." she shooed Liz away from the kitchen hollering inside the house "I got it!!"

She opened the door with a big smile on her face; "HEY!!" they all chorused, "hi guys..." she greeted back; She ushered them inside the house with hugs and kisses; "I miss you so much..." Aram said after pulling away; "I miss you too..." Liz said with a smile; she gave Samar one of her heartfelt hugs as well "Shalom Liz..." she greeted with a friendly smile; "and you!" she said as Ressler's arms came open wide ang hugged her; Ressler placed a brotherly kiss on the top of her head; Lizzie once again as Red would say "managed to worm inside another person's heart..." after they pulled apart all that was left is Cooper. Harold Cooper who have always been a sort of father-figure to Elizabeth Keen. "Hello Liz..." he said with a very heartfelt smile; "Sir..." she smiled back but Cooper shook his head; "for this weekend and every other weekend, it's either Harold or Cooper..." he smiled opening his arms for a hug. Liz stepped forward and gave him another heartfelt hug before pulling away, "Please come-in..." she said ushering them inside the house; "Dembe! Kate! Ray! They're here!!" she hollered inside the living room; "be down in a minute!!" Dembe shouted from upstairs and Kate emerged from the kitchen; "Hello..." she greeted them all; Liz placed an arm around her shoulder; "Guys, this is Kate Kaplan... Red's stand-in mother..." she left out the part that she was his go-to bodies cleaner... "it's very nice to meet you..." she said with a smile on her face.

"OH!!" Aram exclaimed a little too excited "we come bearing gifts!!" he said handing Liz a few boxes of baked goods; "There's Red Velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting... the Jelly doughnuts and some coffee cake from the small cafeteria that Mr. Reddington loves so much..." Liz took them all in hand with a big smile; "WOW!! Oh my God, I love these... Red used to bring me these at work... thank you!!" she said giving him another hug; "and of course it wouldn't be a great lunch and dinner without these..." Ressler handed Kate a bag full of the finest wine they knew Red would love to have. "And these for measure's worth..." Cooper said handing her a very well-aged bottle of Scotch "I've heard Reddington had a taste for this one..." Lizzie couldn't help but to smile; "Oh my god these are too much..." she smiled at them all "thank you guys...really..." Mr. Kaplan cut in; "why don't I place these on the table to share for coffee and tea later, and these wine chilled in the fridge. "Let me help you..." Samar offered "why thank you dear, kitchen's this way..." Kate said leading the way to the kitchen.

A few more moments later, Dembe and Red entered the living area; "hey!!" Liz exclaimed. They were all rather surprised to see Reddington in such a quiet state; his clothing stirred them first; they were never really used to see him other than in a suit. This time he was wearing some nice pull over with a shirt and jeans. "Hey!!" Liz said walking to them. She gave a quick peck on his cheek "I'll go check on lunch..." Dembe said and Liz nodded; "look whose here..." Liz said both ways; to Red and to the team.

They were really surprised at his condition, he was shy from the man who he used to be; they all felt for Liz, after all they were like family. The tension in the room was big, they didn't know what to say or do; Cooper decided to cut the thickening atmosphere; "so Liz, how are you here? Is everything to your liking? Is there anything we can do for you?" Liz took Red's hand, the one that wasn't holding onto the bear and laced their fingers; "we're fine for now, thank you..." she gave them a small smile; "please, Liz if there's anything we can do... don't think twice..." Ressler said and smiled. Liz was really grateful that they were so understanding. "Why don't I help set up lunch then we can eat..." Liz said standing up "Ray, I'll just be in the kitchen okay..." Red looked at her from the corner of his eye but still didn't speak. "why don't we help you..." A.D Cooper said standing; "Aram stay with Reddington just in case..." and Aram nodded.

None of them noticed that Red was holding a picture in his hand along with the bear. Just as they stood up to go to the kitchen, and for Aram to take his place nearer to where Red was sitting, he spoke quietly but loud enough for all of them to hear... "Lizzie..." he said staring at the picture. All of their ears perked up, they thought they were just hearing things but he spoke again "Lizzie..." Donald and Harold looked at one another, while Aram perched himself beside Reddington; "Mr. Reddington?" he asked quietly, he looked up from the picture and to Aram "Lizzie..." he said it again. All three looked from one to another, and smiled "I think we have him back..." Donald said calmly...

Just as they were smiling; Liz entered the living room; "hey guys..." they all turned around and she watched the smile on their faces; she looked confused and asked "what?" Red seemed to have heard her and looked up, and looked at her; "Lizzie..." he said and then looked at her; "it's the fourth time he said that one..." Aram said with a gleeful smile; Liz ran towards him and hugged him tight and thanked whatever God above who is hearing their pleas and prayers; and to her utmost surprise Red dropped the bear and hugged her back a little. she hugged him even tighter and placed a long kiss to his temple; "Come home sweetie..." she whispered "Come home to us... to me..."