Chapter 5

I sat in a small room chained to a table. the chain was long enough for me to stand but that was all. I have been sitting in here for hours now waiting for someone to come in. I wanted to know where Lucas was. was he okay? i prayed he wasn't in that glass box again. he looked hurt when he looked at it. the door opened and I stood up. a man walked in and closed the door. 

"Where's Lucas?" I demanded. 

"Have a seat." I growled and sat down slowly. I looked the man in they eyes.

"what do you want?" I asked. 

"I could ask you the same thing, Danielle Blake." I frowned and looked at the folder he had. he did research on me? 

"What does it matter? you're going to kill me anyway." he lifted a remote and turned on a small TV in the top corner of the room. on the screen it was Lucas tied to a chair. 

"i will ask you this once. why are you here?" I looked at the TV worried about Lucas. the man sent a message on his phone when i refused to answer him. just then on the screen Lucas is screaming in pain. shock collar? are fucking serious? I screamed for him to stop. i stood up and tried to back away from him. 

"I don't know anything! I came here to help Lucas!" Lucas started screaming again. I let my tears fall as I screamed for them to stop. "I told you everything! just stop hurting him!" I was yelling and pulling on the chains. the man smiled and shook his head. Lucas stopped screaming and this time he was laughing. why was he laughing? Lucas looked up at the camera, his eyes were glowing yellow again. oh no. 

"you have to let me go to him." I begged the man. he stood up and shook his head. "if you don't he might hurt someone." I was begging him. he walked out and left me there to watch Lucas. he screamed again. I cried out trying to get the chains off of me. after he was done screaming he started laughing like it tickled him. I shake my head and fall to the floor. after a while it was quiet. I didn't look at the TV again. I could watch him in pain. 

after more hours went by the door opened and the same man from earlier walked in. before he could close the door i heard someone screaming for help. 

"what got loose this time?" I asked sarcastically.

"stand up." I frowned and did as he said. he undid my chains and walked to the door. he opened the door and pushed me out. he followed behind me. I walked to the screams slowly and turned the corner. as i did the screaming stopped. I looked at the man behind me and glared. 

"shouldn't you be the one in front of me?" i whispered. he glared and pushed me again. I rolled my eyes and kept walking down the hall. i took a few steps when I froze in place. The front paws of a dog walked out into view from a room on my left. my eyes widened as I backed away slowly. it was a hell hound. I could hear the man behind me pull his gun out and start shooting at the dog. I dropped to the floor and covered my ears. the dog growled and ran at the man. it tore his throat out just before the man fell to the ground. i got up and took off running the other way. i needed to find Lucas and get out of here. 

after a while of running i had to stop and look around. i was at a cross. this place was huge. I had three options. before i could choose i could hear growling from behind me. it found me. I turned around slowly and swallowed the lump in my throat. i was terrified. my heart was racing. this thing was going to kill me. what i didn't realize is that it was the size of a normal big dog. it wasn't the size of the hell hounds i'd seen before. i looked to my left and saw a door. I looked at the dog for a moment and took off running as fast as I could to the room and close the door. as I slammed the door, the dogs paw got in the way. it whimpered and pushed harder to get in. I fell to the floor and crawled away from it. i crawled all the way to the other side of the room till my back was against the wall. the dog walked slowly up to me as it growled. it stopped inches from my face. I held my breath as I looked into its eyes. it was going to kill me. and I hadn't gotten to tell Lucas how i really felt about him. he can't get attached to anything though, so my death wont mean anything to him. he will be okay. 

"do it." I whispered. anger started to take over.

"DO IT!" I screamed at it. it stepped back in shock. it tilled its head at me. i watched the dog and frowned. I should be dead by now. 

"Lucas?" I whispered. the dog's ears shot up and the growling had stopped. "Lucas, are you there?" I slowly stood up with my hands out in case he attacked me. he lowered his head and laid down on his belly. he changed right in front of me from dog to human. it was Lucas. 

"oh my god, Lucas." I said as i walked up to him. I got on my knees and put my hands on his shoulder and back. he was naked. i needed to find him something to cover him.  I looked in every cabinet and drawer. finally i found white nurse pants and a white shirt. i ran back to him just as he groaned. 

"Lucas?" I whispered. he looked up at me and sat up in a hurry. he looked around and put a hand on my arm. 

"Lucas, you're okay." I put my hand on his cheek. he moved his hand to my wrist and his breathing slowed. I smiled and hugged him tightly. he hugged me tighter.

"I was so worried about you." I looked at Lucas and smiled. was he becoming attached? maybe it was a lie. a test he had to go through when he was stuck here. I gave him a small kiss and handed him the clothes. his face turned red and I stood up so he could put them on. 

"we need to get out of here. they want all humans they can get their hands on. I heard them talking about this haven that people went to to stay safe. the monsters can't swim and most of them don't like water anyway so it's safe. it's our safe haven we talked about. but we need to get out of here before more guys come looking." I nod and we ran out of the building. We ran through the streets of Detroit trying not to get spotted by military guys. we ran out of the city and up the mountain. before anyone could see us we hid inside a cave.