Chapter 14

5 years later

i ran through the trees. i was being chased down by the military. They have been looking for people for years. Jessie, Lucas and i have been killing them off slowly. i laughed as they chased me. they wanted me alive. i hit a dead end. there was a rock wall in my path. i turned around and watched two men come to a stop. they pointed their guns at me. i grinned and put my hands up. just then i could hear growling. Lucas came running out from their left attacking the first guy he came to. he ripped the guy's throat out as Jessie attacked the other from behind. when they were done Lucas changed back to a human and slid on sweats he had hidden in a bush. he walked up to me to make sure i was okay. 

"i'm okay." i whispered and looked at Jessie.

"Are you good?" I asked. he lifted a finger up and bent over trying to catch his breath. i laughed and walked up to him. "you did well Jessie." i patted him on the back as he stood up straight and rested his hands on his hips. 

"thanks..." Jessie said between his heavy breathing. Lucas was just fine. he could do this for hours. we walked back to our hide out in the ground just a mile from where we took the men out. Jessie laid down on a bed and passed out. i sat at a table with Lucas. 

"so, what do you think?" i frowned and looked at Jessie. 

"he's doing good. We have been doing this for, what?, 5 years now?" i asked. Lucas smiled and nodded. 

"i meant about going back to the safe haven when we are done." i bit my lip and nodded. of course that's what he meant. 

"I don't know. I have been watching and Kyle has taken over. they got another boat built so they can get supplies. he hasn't found our boat yet. I've been going down there at night and watching them. Kyle has guards everywhere. he's waiting for us to come back." I looked at Jessie. 

"he's angry with us. he wants us dead. and one day they will come looking for us." Lucas laughed. 

"Kyle won't survive a day on this side." i chuckled and agreed with him. he was right. 

"i'm gonna head to bed. Are you coming?" Lucas asked. i looked up at him as he stood up. 

"i'll be there in a bit. i think i'm going to go for a walk." Lucas kissed me on the top of my head.

"be safe." he whispered and headed to bed. i took a deep breath and stepped outside. the night air hit my face, cooling me down. i walked away from the hide out as i was thinking. 5 years already. we left, never looking back. we did what he had to do to survive. Jessie stuck with his dad after what happened to his mom to stay alive. Lucas was stuck in a box most of his life. when he was let out he never looked back. he did everything he could to survive. even if it was killing someone. i took a deep breath and sat in the sand as i watched the ocean. i didn't do much to survive. after i lost my parents and my best friend i had to find a way to stay safe. my survival was food and water. nothing else had mattered. till Lucas came into my life. 

foot steps behind me broke me from my thought. I stood up and looked out to the ocean. the steps got closer. I spun around and pulled my gun out pointing it at the figure. 

"who are you?" i demanded an answer. the figure stepped out showing their face. "Jessie?" he looked mad, i was confused. that's when he was pushed. another figure showed their face to me. 

"hey Danny." i glared at the man standing in front of me. 

"Kyle." i growled. i had my gun up pointing it at him. "i thought you wouldn't ever leave that place." Kyle shrugged.

"well, i needed to find you. you killed Morgan, remember?" i rolled my eyes. he's still pissed about that? i pointed the gun to my right.

"you can come out of hiding now." i shouted. my eyes never leave Kyle's. Jessie stood up and backed away from him. someone walked out from behind a tree. i looked over and saw Abby. she was from the lab. "long time Abby." she didn't look pleased to be there.

"all i want is Lucas." she said. i shake my head. 

"he's not yours to have." 

"where is he Danny?" Kyle spoke up this time. i looked at Kyle and then behind him. all i saw were his yellow eyes and i couldn't help but smile. I shook my head and sat my arm down by my side, pointing the gun to the ground. an arm wrapped around Kyle's neck and tightened his grip.

"I'm right here." he hissed. Abby gasped. i pointed my gun at her again. 

"what do you want with him?" i asked. 

"i wasn't told. all i know is that our men are dying and they need an army. i was told to come out looking for Lucas so i can bring him in and get his DNA for more like him. Kyle told us what Lucas was capable of and it caught the captain's attention. He wants Lucas and he won't stop looking for him." i shake my head and chuckle. Lucas watches me. 

"are you crazy? why would we ever do something like that?" Abby hesitated. 

"he turns into a hell hound right? and his eyes glow a bright yellow?" what the hell? we already knew this, she knows it. 

"if you don't leave i will kill you where you stand." i threatened. "come back and i'll kill you on the spot." Lucas pushed Kyle towards Abby. "leave now. this is your only warning. i see another person from your crew and i will kill them. tell your boss that i will kill everything he throws at me." Abby and Kyle back up slowly before taking off. Lucas walked up to me and laughed. 

"how did you know?" I asked Lucas. he looked down at me and shrugged.

"i had a feeling. you seem to like to get into trouble." i laughed at him and shook my head. Jessie walked up to me on my right, Lucas on my right as we watched Kyle and Abby run away. we do what we have to do to survive. against monsters and humans. we three are all we have left. I take Lucas by the hand and lean my head on his shoulder. This is our life now. this is us surviving the end...

                                                      THE END 

TO BE CONTINUED...