Chapter 6

for the next few days we hid here. everyone was on the hunt for us. stepping out of the cave and looking out you could see the city. 

"I can see them, they're still looking for us." I couldn't see them. Lucas was different though. he had a hell hound in him. 

"so you have an owl like vision, awesome." I spoke with sarcasm. Lucas lowered his head before looking at me.

"you're scared of me."his voice was low. I shook my head and sighed. 

"I'm not scared of you Lucas, you're just..." I tried to think of the right word. 

"not human?" he spoke before me. I frowned and looked at him. 

"i was going to say different." i said and walked back into the cave. i had my corner and Lucas had his across from me. 

"we should keep going tomorrow. find that safe haven those men were talking about." Lucas spoke. i take a deep breath without saying anything. I looked out of the cave and watched the stars. Lucas fell asleep soon after. i stayed up watching the only way in and out of this cave and once in a while i'd look at Lucas. i bit my lower lip and stood up. i stepped out of the cave and watched the quiet city beneath me. i crossed my arms over my chest. 

"you look cold." i jumped and turned around. 

"Lucas, hey. just a bit." i answered. Lucas smiled and looked out to the city. his eyes glowed that yellow color again. i thought they only glowed when he was angry. 

"hey Lucas?" he looked at me his eyes still yellow. I looked at them with awe. 

"what's it like, to have a hell hound inside of you?" he smiled and looked at the city.

"i never felt it before. till i met you i didn't even know i was something more than human. I'm faster now, stronger. warm, like my insides are on fire but in a good way. I can't get cold." Lucas lifted his hand up to my cheek. "the monster inside of me has no emotion for anything. I can't get attached to anything. not even you and it hurts." I frowned and looked into his eyes. the yellow faded back to brown. 

"you don't have to be attached to something to have feelings or emotions for them." he smiled and looked up at the sky and sighed. I really did care for him. I could see he did too. I pulled his face down to meet mine. he looked in my eyes and i could see something soft and warm in them. 

"Let's go back inside." I whispered. Lucas looked out at the city and shook his head. 

"no. I'm going back there."  I frowned. was he crazy?

"are you crazy? they will kill you. you killed so many of their people." Lucas bit his lip like he was thinking. "it's suicide. plus what's in there that is so important?"

"if i'm not back by the time the sun comes up then find the safe haven without me." i shake my head. no, he can't be serious. " they talked about another person like me. unreliable is what they were saying but what if they are? what if." I understood. he felt alone, i didn't blame him. 

"I'm coming with you then." Lucas shook his head. 

"they will kill you on sight. they need your body and they don't care if you're alive or dead. I'm trying to care. I'm trying to protect you from them. after i get the other person out i'm burning it to the ground." I let a tear fall. what if he didn't get out in time? what if they catch him? Lucas whipped my tear away and kissed me deeply. I kissed him back not wanting to let him go. what made him change his mind? Lucas pulled away from me and started to walk away. i watched him walk away from me, he never looked back. I sat inside the cave and waited and prayed he'd make it back safely. 

i stood outside trying to watch for him to come back. the sun was just starting to peak around the mountain. I waited for as long as i could. I wanted to wait longer but he told me to go. I wanted to respect that. I sigh and look one last time before leaving...

Lucas's POV

Since i met Danny i knew  i wanted her in my life. she saved me from that hell hound and that banshee. I knew i was different from her. i didn't want to ruin that though. she didn't want me to go back, but i had to. if there was someone in there like me, then i needed to save them. I didn't want to be alone any longer. I snuck back in pretty easy. most of the military were out looking for us. I walked around carefully. i found a door with an arrow pointing down beside it. i looked around and walked inside. i ran down the stairs till i hit another door. I slowly opened it and listened for voices. I looked around and walked inside when the coast looked clear. i closed the door softly and turned around seeing glass boxes everywhere. they all had some kind of creature inside. i walked around looking at all of them till i hit the end. I looked inside the last one and saw a girl. she had long blonde hair. she was curled up in a ball sitting on a bed. the box was smaller than the one I had. I walked up to the glass and looked at the board that was hanging there. 

"Name: Ellie. Age:16 part human, part banshee." i frowned and looked at her. she didn't look like a banshee. 

"Ellie? can you hear me?" she moved and looked up at me. her eyes were a bright blue. she was beautiful. I looked around the box trying to figure out how to open it. I groaned and punched the glass. 

"who are you?" she spoke softly. she had a strange accent also. one i have never heard before. 

"my name is Lucas. I'm a lot like you. I'm going to get you out." she moved away from me in fear.

"no. they will kill us both." she was scared of them. I frowned and looked at her. she looked scared of me. I needed to get her out. I looked around and found a metal bar. I picked it up and slammed it into the glass. I groaned when it bounced off each time. I was getting angry. my body started to heat up and i used everything in my power and slammed it into the glass, shattering into pieces. I dropped the metal bar and looked at Ellie. she watched me and then stood up. 

"I'm not leaving you here." Ellie hesitated for a moment. i lifted my hand and she took it. we ran for the door and up the stairs. we were able to get out the door before we heard someone yelling for us to stop. I could see the sun starting peak out behind the mountains. Danny needed to go without me. I hoped she had left by now. I looked at Ellie and we took off running through the city in the other direction of where Danny was. we found a house and hid inside. we stayed there till we were sure the coast was clear.