Chapter 8

TWO YEAR LATER

it's been two years since i found the safe haven. a year ago me and Kyle started dating. we lived in our own homes though. i stopped going back with Kyle and waited for people to come. Kyle still had hope though so he kept going. I never told Kyle about Lucas, nor told him his name. i still thought about him once in a while. I am about 20 now. winter was almost over. I got out of bed and got dressed. i made myself some coffee and woke up before starting my day. Kyle had a meeting with Morgan this morning so he couldn't stop by and say good morning. i finished my coffee and headed out to feed the animals and collect milk and eggs. no one wanted to collect the eggs because of the rooster so i did it. the rooster left me alone as i collected them. i only collected half. i left the rest for the rooster. we had built a small store-like place for milk and eggs and some meat from the animals. it was small and it was my job to do the inventory. and hang out there for the day. if i wasn't there then it was closed. no one had to pay or anything. you come in and grab what you and your family needed and i write it down and they were off. this helped me know how much i needed when i went to the freezer. i would hang the cow and do what i knew how to do. it was the same thing as deer. just different meat. I sat in the chair behind the counter and set up a speaker and started playing music from an iPod that i found in one of the stores a while back when i was still going with Kyle. i found a laptop and found a way to get music from that to the iPod. it wasn't easy though. 

"hey Danny." I looked up and smiled. Megan walked in with her little boy James. 

"hey guys. it's been a while since you came in. how are you?" Megan smiled and told me about her few days. she was pregnant with her second child. her husband Ricky goes fishing every day for most of the day trying to get food for the town. James is almost 6 now. he was handsome. he looked like his dad. 

"when are you gonna have one?" Megan asked as she set some stuff on the counter. i wrote down what she grabbed as i spoke.

"probably not for a very long time. me and Kyle have only been together for a year. we haven't talked about the next step yet." i finished writing and Megan smiled. 

"i hope you do soon. have a lovely day now." Megan said and left. i didn't feel ready to have a child. i don't think i ever will. 

for the rest of the day i sat in silence as my music played. by the time the sun was starting to go down i decided to close up and head home. Kyle should be stopping by soon. i walk inside and set my things down. I sigh and walk to the kitchen and drink some water. 

"babe! Are you here?" I smile and yell back saying i was in the kitchen. Kyle walks in and walks to the kitchen. he smiles and gives me a hug. i grin, happy to see him. when Kyle lets go he gives me a peek on the lips and sits on the counter in front of me. 

"how was your day?" he asked. i grabbed a small bowl of strawberries from the fridge and set them between us. he grabs one and starts to eat it. 

"it was good. Megan is getting pretty big from her pregnancy. i finished wrapping up the cow in the freezer and shut it off till i kill another one. Other than that it was pretty slow. what about you? how was the meeting this morning?" i grabbed a strawberry and started eating it. me and Kyle haven't done anything since we got together. i wasn't ready for that. 

"it was okay. Morgan drilled me about making another house just in case. he thinks there is someone out there looking for us. I said I've been going out there every day and haven't seen anyone. i was out again today and still nothing. if there was someone out there that was still alive, then i don't think they know about us." i frowned and sighed. i grabbed the bowl and put it back in the fridge. 

"well, i'm not sure what to tell you but if you still have hope then keep going. maybe i'll tag along with you tomorrow. i need a few things anyway. almost out of bathroom stuff." Kyle smiled and jumped off the counter and pulled me into him. 

"You're amazing." he whispered. Kyle lend forward kissing me deeply. i kissed him back wrapping my arms around his next. Kyle pulled my hips into him holding me there so i couldn't move away. Kyle kissed me more with lust. i broke the kiss before it could get too far. Kyle smiled and gently let me go.

"just say the word Danny. i'll wait as long as you need." he whispered. i thanked him and headed to my room. 

the next day i went with Kyle and headed to some of the stores. i told Kyle he should stay and wait, in case someone showed up. I walked around one of the stores looking for some shampoo. everything was quiet. I found what i needed and threw them into my bag. i turned and was about to leave when i saw a dog looking straight at me. hell hound to be exact. it was smaller then i remembered them to be. I froze in place as it growled at me. it looked hungry, like it hasn't eaten in weeks. it's yellow eyes glowed as it watched my every move. i slowly took a step back. i knew this store inside and out. i took off running to the back door. i could hear it running after me. i got to the back door and slammed it closed before it could get to me. i looked around and started running back to Kyle. 

i got back to him almost out of breath. it had been a long time since i had to run like that. Kyle looked at me worried. i shook my head saying i was fine. he took me back and i kissed him goodbye as he headed back for a few more hours. i headed back to the house and put my stuff away in the bathroom and put my bag down beside my bed. I sighed and walked out of the house and walked around the town. i wanted to enjoy the fresh spring air. next week i can start planting more in the garden. on the other side of the island were a bunch of trees and sand by the water. i walked down it for about an hour before i headed back to town. as i walked past the office building i heard a voice that sounded familiar. i shrugged it off and kept walking it wasn't possible. there was no way he was here. i walked into my house and took a quick shower before putting clean clothes on. that hell hound had spooked me a bit. i went to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water and drank some just as Kyle walked in.

"hey, i got great news." I smiled and looked at him. "two people found me and asked about a safe haven. we have new people in the town!" I grinned and got excited. 

"that's amazing!" I couldn't stop smiling. "where are they? who are they?" i had so many questions. Kyle opened my door all the way and my smile disappeared as soon as i saw his face. 

"Lucas?" i whispered...